add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Tfarcraw_III
  • 18 months ago

I'm in college and am looking to build a small gaming PC. I want something to tinker with over the next few years. I mention that I'm in college as I'm looking for something small.

I sorta would like this to be a project PC. I have around $600 to spend now on good bones. In the future, I'd like to upgrade the parts themselves in addition to some case mods, water cooling, and general aesthetic stuff.

So in summation: Location: USA
Budget: $600 (can stretch about $100 if absolutely needed)
Uses: Light gaming and coding
Peripherals: Needed

Looking for a solid base to upgrade upon in the future

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Try this. You can drop the CPU to a 2200G to save about $50 if you need to.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor $157.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $79.99 @ Newegg Business
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $64.99 @ Amazon
Case Thermaltake - Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $31.74 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $37.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $103.95 @ Trusted Tech Team
Monitor Asus - VN248H-P 23.8" 1920x1080 Monitor $89.99 @ Newegg Business
Keyboard Logitech - K120 Wired Standard Keyboard $9.99 @ Target
Mouse Logitech - B100 Wired Optical Mouse $6.89 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $633.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-25 00:40 EST-0500
  • 2400G with stock cooler is a good light gamer and all-purpose CPU with decent embedded video.
  • Good midline B450 motherboard allows overclocking and upgraded CPU later on.
  • One stick of memory, add another stick for 16GB when finances allow.
  • Good sized SSD for storage, can add more storage (SSD or hard disk) later.
  • No GPU for now, add one for more gaming performance later.
  • OK case and PSU.
  • Retail (not OEM) Windows so you can move it if needed.
  • Usable monitor, cheapo keyboard and mouse, upgrade if you like.

I'd see the upgrade path as adding a GPU, adding a memory stick, upgrading the CPU, maybe a bigger PSU if required, fancier case, etc etc.

Edit: you might want to go for a better case to start with, if you are thinking about getting into higher end parts later. Fractal Design Meshify C Mini is another $40 or so.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I like the looks of this one.

When I was looking at parts before I was considering the i3-8100. What are the advantages of the 2400G over an i3-8100? They're relatively similar on userbenchmarks and the i3 is a decent bit cheaper.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Take Userbenchmark results with a grain of salt.

2. That i3, when paired with a decent graphics card, is capable of offering generally superior gaming performance than a standalone 2400G. However, that configuration costs more, and will likely stretch your budget.

In terms of i3-8100 (with integrated graphics) vs. 2400G, the 2400G will often come out on top, though there are cases with less graphically-intense games where the Intel integrated graphics can do okay (though still not as good as the Vega 11 graphics).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, that makes sense. Why though is the i3 going to be more expensive? Would that be due to the upgrade path?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel's integrated graphics have come a long way, but they are still not that great for most intense games. The Ryzen 2400G offers a much better integrated graphics solution.

However, if you have an i3-8100 and a decent graphics card, you can surpass the capabilities of the 2400G. The cost difference is due to the additional cost of the graphics card that will get you off of Intel's integrated graphics (which aren't especially gaming-oriented, while AMD's APUs are often meant for entry-level gaming setups).

That i3, when paired with a decent graphics card, is capable of offering generally superior gaming performance than a standalone 2400G. However, that configuration costs more, and will likely stretch your budget.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

In addition to what root_user said, the 2400G is 4 core 8 thread, while the i3 is 4 core 4 thread. The 2400G is overclock-able and the i3 is not. The 2400G chipset / motherboard has a broader upgrade path (arguably) with Zen 2 on the way.

You wouldn't be making a mistake at all by going i3-8100, but I think the 2400G is a more flexible chip right now.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. That makes sense - I am looking to work on upgrading this PC for the next year or so.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube