add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1060 6GB to 1080ti 11GB

jake2917

12 months ago

I don't know a whole lot about PCs (building them/hardware). I currently have a nice set up with an MSI GTX 1060 6GB but I'm in the market for a nicer (more powerful) GPU; I wanted to go with a 1080ti. Before I purchase a GPU and attempt to install it myself only to find that I purchased one that doesn't work with my current set up, I figured I would get some advice from people who might know what they are talking about.

Current PC Specs: ASUS Prime Z370-P, i7 8700 6 Core 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 3000MHz, 600W Corsair/EVGA power supply, SSD M.2 250GB, secondary storage 2TB Seagate/Toshiba, MSI Geforce GTX 1060 6GB (mini) & Win10. Running on a 1080p 32 inch 144hz display.

First, from an average gamers perspective, is a 1080ti with a core clock speed of 1.59GHz going to be noticeably better than one with 1.52GHz? Or is the core clock speed something I don't need to really think about?

My current 1060 card is a mini and although from just looking inside my case I can tell I will have plenty of room to fit a full sized card in there, will there be anything special I will need when swapping it out and are the connections different?

If the new GPU supports SLI but my motherboard doesn't, will that be a problem (I don't really know what SLI is or stands for)? Then also I'm pretty sure I looked this up & they worked together but a ASUS Prime Z370-P motherboard is totally fine to pair with a 1080ti, correct?

If I were to pick up a FTW3 GPU that has GDDR5X memory, would I need to change anything about my current memory (like the ram or the SSD)? Or is the memory type of a GPU its own thing & won't affect any of my other parts?

Will my Corsair 600W power supply be fine to run with a 1080ti or does that have to be stronger?

I guess lastly, with an upgrade to the 1080ti is it reasonable to believe I will be fine gaming in 1080p on ultra/high setting at 144hz? How about 1440p at 144hz, could I still push ultra/high settings?

Thanks in advance to anybody who gives this a look over & shares some wisdom with me.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply! Sorry I am only now getting back to you, you answered all my questions (the part about memory was my mistake, I was confusing the GPUs memory with ram/was thinking about DDR5 lol). I'm glad to hear SLI really doesn't mean anything to me, I just saw many cards I was looking at with that advertised so wanted to make sure it was or was not going to affect me.

Also yeah, if I could drop a picture if here for you I would, but my GPU currently is a MSI GTX 1060 (at least I hope it is)... See I don't know a lot about PC's as of right now so for my first one I ordered it custom made (I know now, i should have just built it and saved myself loads of money) from Digital Storm. They seemed like a really good brand from what I saw & also seemed like they might have been smaller or slower than some of the big names. Which I liked because then maybe my build would have gotten more care & time put into it instead of slapped together quickly. With that being said, the spec list I got with the PC just had my card listed as a Geforce GTX 1060 & they never specified which brand card they would use. When picking the GPU all they have to choose from is listed as Geforce GTX 1050, 1060,1070, etc. Then in details they state that they only use GPUs from the best retailers and list Gigabyte, EVGA, MSI, etc. I really hope they didn't just maybe add an MSI cover or something to make me believe it is MSI. I could be mistaken about calling it a mini though, I know MSI typically does 2 fan GPUs right? Maybe I just think its shorter/smaller, I only really compare it to what I see online while looking at new cards and watching videos.

If you happen to reply to this comment too, I had one more question: do you think my current setup I listed in the original post is strong enough to handle 1440p @ 144hz? I'm guessing a 1080ti would be able to no problem, but my 1060 I'm unsure about. 1440p @ 144hz on like mid-high settings, not ultra. Thanks for all the help!

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Shiiiit, you're telling me! I haven't been able to find a monitor with G-Sync for under like $600-$700 (I guess it would be cheaper if i went smaller, but who wants to do that). I currently play most games at 144hz easy, well at least the select few that I play & usually with performance settings. With everything off or low/medium except viewing distance. Seems to not have any issues at all playing this way.

Do you own a G-Sync monitor? Because i don't know a single person who has purchased one. Nobody I've ever talked to has ever told me it's a necessity; are you saying to get one because that is the best possible way to go or because without it my tearing would be terrible? If G-Sync is only a luxury item than I'd rather not pay $250+ extra for it, but if 1440p/144hz would cause a crazy amount of tearing then I will have to reconsider.

Do you know if big brand names have good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Maybe I could make a G-Sync work if I got it on a good sale. I don't have any companies with high end products around me really, but maybe Best Buy online would have good deals, or amazon..?

https://imgur.com/a/g1nh1U3

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you check out the pictures I added to my last reply? I really want to know if I'm trippin' on calling that a mini GPU. I don't know for sure if it is or what, it just looked smaller than usual I thought.

[comment deleted]
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

An i7 8700 and a 1060 will do better, so 1080p 144hz will be no problem.
1440p on a 1060 at ultra will struggle, but on medium, you might manage in 30-60 range fps wise.

1920x1080 @144 FPS is 298,598,400 pixels per second. (PPS)
2560x1440 @60 FPS is 221,184,000 PPS.
That means that 1440p-60FPS is about 25% less demanding than 1080p-144Hz. 2560x1440 @144FPS would be 530,841,600 PPS, or about 180% more than 1080p.

Assuming I did my math right.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

So what you're saying is.....if I stuck with my 1060 I could run 1440p @ 60FPS? If that would be less demanding than 1080p @ 144FPS & I currently run that no problem.

Pushing 1440p @ 144FPS would most definitely be a job for a more powerful GPU. Even on very low settings the 1060 would struggle, but that's not my style. If i got a 1440p monitor I would be wanting to play games with its full beauty.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

if I stuck with my 1060 I could run 1440p @ 60FPS?

With the same or slightly better settings than you use for 1080p-144FPS, yes.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube