• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Nile_Oozmen 6 months ago

If anyone has the Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING, please help me out.

I'm getting a Samsung 970 Pro SSD (which I think is NVMe), and I have this compatibility error: "The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." Which port would this SSD disable? Also, since I'm only using one hard drive, should I worry about this too much?

Comments Sorted by:

Buildtimeboys 1 Build 2 points 6 months ago

Which port would this SSD disable?

Check the motherboard manual, it should say.

Also, since I'm only using one hard drive, should I worry about this too much?

It's really not an issue. Since the drive is NVMe anyway, it shouldn't even use a SATA channel.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 6 months ago

It's a complete non-issue unless you plan on adding more additional SATA drives than the remaining port count allows. The motherboard probably has 6 or 8 sata ports, so you have 5 or 7 left.

(The warning is telling you that if you populate that m.2 slot, you use up a SATA port, whether the m.2 SSD is SATA or not. This question comes up so often that I think the message needs to be re-worded.)

galacticPerson 1 point 6 months ago

Actually, M.2 NVME Drives take bandwidth from the PCIe lanes that the MoBo and the CPU support, not the SATA ports. The only time this warning would be relevant would be with a SATA M.2.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 6 months ago

The warning says very clearly, if you populate the m.2 slot you disable one SATA port. That holds no matter what kind of SSD you put into the m.2 slot. Whether it's disabling a SATA expander chip because the PCIe lanes are going to NVMe, or whether it's just a case of the SATA port wiring being shared between the m.2 and another socket and only one can be live, I don't know and it doesn't especially matter. If you put any SSD into the named m.2 port you lose the associated SATA port(s).

If you don't believe me, try it yourself and see what happens. Maybe there are some mobos which only disable a sata port when you plug in an SATA m.2 SSD and not an NVMe SSD, but I don't think I believe it.

galacticPerson 1 point 6 months ago

Since it's an NVME drive, the warning is wrong, and the drive doesn't disable any SATA ports. This is only relevant with a SATA M.2. It won't disable any ports, you can use all of however many it has.