• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Tildie 7 months ago

I would like to know if this build is still worth upgrading or it is better to just build a new one. My gf wants me to build a new one so she can take this one. This was OC to 3.9 or 4.0 for a good year and then it crashed then it reverted back to stock clock. Never OC it since then. I've had this since 2014.

Thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor -
CPU Cooler Antec - Kuhler H2O 620 Liquid CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
Memory Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $177.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card -
Case Cooler Master - HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $83.31 @ Amazon Canada
Optical Drive Asus - BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $68.99 @ PC-Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 8 OEM 64-bit -
Fan Controller NZXT - Sentry LX Fan Controller $39.99 @ Memory Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $556.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-01 23:19 EDT-0400

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/wpncgw

Comments Sorted by:

galacticPerson 1 point 7 months ago

The i5 4760K is still a good processor as long as you don't pair it with a really new GPU like a 1080. I would go with something like an R9 Fury X or a 980 Ti(used of course), so there is no generational bottleneck. The 980 Ti and R9 Fury X cost around $250-300 on eBay or some other used stuff place, and perform similar to, if not better than a 1070, so they are good choices.

Tildie submitter 1 point 7 months ago

Would you recommend OC'ng the cpu?

Buildtimeboys 1 Build 1 point 7 months ago

If you need the extra performance, and can get it stable then sure.

The i5 4760K is still a good processor as long as you don't pair it with a really new GPU like a 1080. I would go with something like an R9 Fury X or a 980 Ti(used of course), so there is no generational bottleneck.

What? no idea where you got that from. The 4760K will perform the same regardless of the GPU its paired with. CPU defines the maximum framerate you can achieve in a game, GPU defines at what resolution and settings you reach it.

galacticPerson 1 point 7 months ago

The i5 4760K was released much earlier than Pascal cards, thus, the CPU would bottleneck the GPU due to the generational difference.

The CPU's performance doesn't have any effect on how the GPU/video card performs. As long as the CPU is able to push enough frames to reach the monitor's refresh it will work fine. (And that CPU should work just fine for the majority of games.)

mark5916 1 point 7 months ago

Well, you have Windows 8 as i can see.

If you change the CPU, you must change the board, the Ram, the GPU of course (otherwise it wouldn't make sense) and the Operating system as well!

So, you can upgrade the GPU with a GTX 1060 (at least), or even go as high as an GTX 1070Ti.

After the above step, you should consider to build a new RIG. :)

I was contemplating about this too, so I just decided to just build a new one loool.

mark5916 1 point 7 months ago

Well if you can afford it, it would be a good idea.

But even if you upgrade the GPU only, it will give you a good performance boost. :)

Aight guys thanks for the inputs.