add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for Some Help!

ps_md

14 months ago

Hi all! I put a part list together which I hope will work well, however I have a few questions.

My overall goal is to future-proof my CPU and build a great gaming machine while hopefully reusing the good components I already have. My current machine is an old Alienware (I know...) that is nearing 10 years old, so it needs to go :)

I don't mind dropping the coin to get a good machine that will last me many years, but knowing how often the tech changes, shelling out for a new graphics card concerns me.

Here is my list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TBppQZ

1. I read that the stock cooler for the 2700X is good enough. I don't plan on doing much over-clocking, so can I get by without an additional cooler?
  2. I also chose the 2700X due to the above reason (not much OC,) was this the right decision or should i get the 2700?
  3. The SSD and HD's are drives I already have and are being used. My hope is that I can just pull them from my current computer and put them in the new one, boot up, and everything works. Is this the case or will I have to do a full reinstall of the OS?
  4. I also reused my existing graphics card, a GTX 1070, which I would hope is good enough for high end gaming. I realize its not a 1080 and I wouldn't mind putting a 1080 in there, but if i can get good performance out of the 1070, I would rather save the cash. Thoughts?
  5. To build on the last point, if i were to invest in a new card, should i just get another 1070 and run SLI? Is SLI production ready for gaming or is it more hassle than its worth?

Any and all advice / pointers / help is appreciated in advance! Thanks!

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point
  1. Yes, the stock cooler is great. Definitely enough to handle the CPU stock speeds or with a mild overclock - no problem.

2. Personally, I would just get the regular 2700. You can very easily overclock it to match the speed of the X and I don't think the X is worth the extra $40.

3. If you installed a full version of windows on the boot drive, it should be as simple as plug n play but consider you're building a mostly new system, I do suggest doing a full wipe and restarting. Just to clean everything out and what not. You'll just have to go through the pain of reinstalling everything but to me, that isn't a big deal. If you have an OEM version of Windows, it locks to the motherboard and is not transferable. I'm not sure how to check what version you have.

4. A 1070 should be more than sufficient for the next few years if you just want 1080p60 gaming. If you were to get a new GPU, I would wait, save up, and fork over the cash for a new 2080. However, if you're only goal is 1080p60, a 2080 would be quite overkill. If you have future plans such as 1440p gaming or even high refresh, that's the only way I see it to be feasible.

5. SLI is pointless. No need for that if you're gaming.

I changed it to a 2700 and also got you a G3 PSU (newest model) for cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor $279.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $119.99 @ Newegg Business
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $169.81 @ OutletPC
Storage SanDisk - Ultra II 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital - WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital - WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $759.66
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $739.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-28 13:00 EDT-0400
  • 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Going with the above list, do I need to add a cooler if I am going to have to OC the cpu to match the X?

Also, my windows is not tied to the mobo and its fairly clean, simply because I had a hard drive crash just under a year ago and had to do a full rebuild. Knowing that it may plug and play is good, I think I am going to give it a whirl..

Is the system above future-proof for a 2080? Would I need to change anything in order to be able to support it in the future?

Thanks again!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I changed it to a 2700 and also got you a G3 PSU (newest model) for cheaper.

The G2 is actually a better choice, that or a Seasonic Focus plus. (The G3 has issues with it's protections.)

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to take the opposite view on the 2700X, it's worth it if you aren't interested in hand overclocking, and the X's stock cooler is better than the 2700's. The difference isn't huge so I guess it may come down to what $40 is worth to you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube