add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Issues with the EVGA G3: Severe issues with Protections

LostElement
  • 19 months ago

A user on LinusTechTips told me to avoid the G3 due to protection issues, so I went to read some reviews and indeed there are issues.

The EVGA G3 suffers from protection issues, specifically its OTP and OPP.

Quote from Aris:

The PSU shuts down with 77.82A on its +12V rail. We suspect that this is not because of over-current protection on this rail, but due to under-voltage protection. In our opinion, this PSU's over-power protection is set too high; it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity to keep the +12V rail within spec. Over-temperature protection has a pretty high triggering point, too. This is something we've encountered in plenty of semi-passive PSUs.

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it. The bulk cap's external casing nearly melted during our OTP evaluation.

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

OTP is set very high, as we also noted in our 850 G3 review. This is a 50°C-rated PSU, so it is normal to have a high OTP triggering point, but we'd be more comfortable if it was closer to 130°C.

This is from three different retail units. This doesn’t look good for the G3. It may be time to start recommending against this unit.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

OPP/OTP is only of concern, if you reach/exceed the maximum rated capacity. That's basically when a 12v rail is overloaded! Linus/tomshardware reviews (hard-testing) tend to push the rails power line on full drive at max thermal capacities which in return induces the Over Power Protection (OPP) or OTP to kick in (shut down). Its mostly undesirable for high-power consumption builds (or similar) if the Units supply (wattage) is 'parallel' (or marginally exceeds) the systems actual wattage consumption (with power efficiency margins in place). Since PSUs are already favourably recommended with over-estimates with PCPP W-ratings and being that the common practice is to recommend 100-200W in excess of those over-estimates, the concerns are annulled. Hence, although I prefer Seasonic G-series + Corsairs TXM/RMX offerings, I have no problem with EVGAs G-series units either. In fact, as we speak, I have a G3 installed on my home gaming rig. But considering both Seasonic and Corsair have brought their prices down, as things stand, I would avoid the G3 for a pertinent future-investment and more importantly for me the fan noise is too audible to my liking compared to my other units. On the other hand, people struggling with their budgets, the G3 remains a tough contender for an overall respectable build quality and a more affordable price tag.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

This all might be down to EVGA's passive running option (I think)

• 19 months ago
  • 0 points

It’s not acceptable either way. Time to recommend against the G3.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The OCP is a design issue that Superflower has had issues with for awhile and is pretty easily fixed.

The B3 has or had a similar problem but the latest review of the 650w model isn't showing any problems so it was fixed in later production. So how recent are those reviews?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Aris ordered all the B3s at the same time.

And the 650 B3 still present protection issues: high OCP on minor rails (Aris say they’re fine, but same relative load as the 450B3s OCP), high OPP, high OTP.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

And the 650 B3 still present protection issues: high OCP on minor rails (Aris say they’re fine, but same relative load as the 450B3s OCP), high OPP, high OTP.

High protection settings are not as issue if the unit is built to output at that level which is why they are considered fine, and I believe even the high OTP was covered as its a low efficiency unit running a semi-fanless operation.

Problem with the other B3 is they had high protection settings and were not built to survive that level of output.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

and I believe even the high OTP was covered as its a low efficiency unit running a semi-fanless operation.

That isn't a cover for high OTP. High OTP will always be high OTP, those parts are not rated for those temperatures whether it's semi passive or not.

Problem with the other B3 is they had high protection settings and were not built to survive that level of output.

Yes. And there is no evidence the issues have been fixed (yet).

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

those parts are not rated for those temperatures whether it's semi passive or not.

That was never brought up as an issue in the review, and it was never noted that the component temperatures were getting too high inside the unit even when it was run with the fan disabled.

Yes. And there is no evidence the issues have been fixed (yet).

On those units no there isn't just as there isn't any evidence that they still exist, which was also brought up in the review.

EVGA must have fixed the over-power protection setting that plagued those other models. Apparently, all of EVGA's B3s are now manufactured by Super Flower and not RSY, meaning that their build quality is higher. But we'd need to retest new versions of the B3 PSUs that failed before absolving the whole family of its prior trespasses.

Also it would seem that this model is newer then the first three tested, so not all of them were sourced at the same time.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

From a JonnyGURU forum http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15914

crmaris yeap they were bought at the same time, all of them. EVGA told me back in the day that they fixed this and that all production has moved to Super Flower from RSY. There is no way to confirm this, though.

jonnyGURU You and I both know that's B.S. ;)

Philipus II Jon is correct. If you know factory capacity this is obvious.

I don’t have any further comments on the B3 series, but in general EVGA current lineups power supplies are ... messy, whether it’s protection or OEM issues.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

this PSU's over-power protection is set too high;...it should kick in at around 120-125% of the maximum-rated capacity

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it.

Well, those above scenarios rarely happens on any build as far as i know, and only if you force the situation. (as above described)

I don't see a reason for not recommending those PSUs, on a build that operates way lower than the above mentioned amperage and wattage numbers.

No one will ever buy a PSU and try out (for fun ?!?) to exceed the maximum-rated capacity.

And 77.82A on the 12V rail is also way beyond what a high end PC will ever reach.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe not on purpose. Either way, it's a risk that shouldn't be there. Variety of scenarios could happen that could end up doing this.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

lol, EVGA will have a rough time with Aris. :-P

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems to be Aris is giving EVGA a rough time. First the B3 (on 450-850 watt models) and the G3 models, lol. Such a shame. It's not likely a problem will happen with a G3, but I can't recommend this unit anymore.

Not while the SeaSonic FOCUS performs just as well while having all of its protections in order. Same with the RMx.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Until Aris finds on those above mentioned PSUs some flaws too, and then the only option would be to buy an PS4 or XBOX One console. :-P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube