add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 7 2700x Max RAM Speed

LoyalDerp

18 months ago

So I was thinking of getting the 2700x and the G.Skill Sniper X 8x2GB 3466 mhz (as its compatible with my mobo)

But after finding out about this I will need to change. The thing that bothers me is that when I choose a ram with a speed over 2933 mhz it doesnt warn me when making a build on this site. And on top of that a friend of mine told me I had to go over 3200 mhz with the 2700x but is that even possible? This is all confusing me hence why I'm asking for help here.

I would also appreciate if you could find some ram that's compatible with both the MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON and the Ryzen 7 2700x.

Just a little notice is that I might not be able to answer very quickly to replies as its 1 am where I'm at.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! ❤️

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

2933mhz is only supported as one single ranked/sided DIMM, with speeds stepping down from there depending on number of DIMMs and if they are single or dual ranked/sided.

Everything else is overclocking and as such your own mileage can and often will vary depending on system components and luck in the silicon lottery.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So without overclocking the max is 2933 mhz?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

On one single sided DIMM that is the rated speed given by AMD.

Even that is still overclocking everything past 2133mhz is overclocked settings.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

memory controllers are generally rated for dual channel at 2666mhz, which makes anything past it oveclocking.

But Rzyen has some memory issues, so I'd recommend 3000-3200mhz RAM to save money and the extra performance isn't very big

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

memory controllers are generally rated for dual channel at 2666mhz, which makes anything past it oveclocking.

2666mhz is dual channal with two single sided/ranked DIMMs or a single dual sided DIMM.

It actually drops lower for four single sided or dual channal double sided DIMMs.

As for what to suggest 3200mhz@Cas 14 is what all performance optimization is being built around by motherboard manufacturers at AMD's direction, you may be able to achieve faster speeds with the newer memory controller software but realistically timings are much more importent to the second generation products now, and it really isnt going to be worth the looser timings to hit 3466/3600mhz that some boards/memory controllers can achieve.

And you are still very much at the mercy of the memory controller as between the timings and dual channel not every chip can handle that kit even if it is what all the current optimization is being built around.

Side Note: After reading this I realize I spend way to much time learning the workings of these chips.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

If you use XMP to overclock the RAM, then this mobo will support overclocking up to DDR4-3466 (per the product specifications and web site). As such, PCPartPicker should not warn you at 2933MHz but rather at anything above 3466MHz.

Check the mobo web site for the QVL which shows what RAM MSI has successfully tested with this mobo: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-mem-14

(click on tab "Memory by Rx-2X00")

You can see RAM rated at speeds above 2933MHz that have been successfully tested. If the RAM you buy is on this QVL list, then you've got the best chance possible that it will overclock to the rated speed you buy (like DDR4-3200 or DDR4-3466). Be sure to update to the most current mobo bios for your CPU. RAM overclock is not guaranteed since stable RAM overclock will still depend on the memory controller on the CPU and the "silicon lottery", but chances are that you'll be able to get the rated speed.

(Note: the same thing applies to Intel CPUs which are spec'ed by Intel up to a max of 2666, but folks overclock RAM above that all the time with quality mobo).

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

The thing that bothers me is that when I choose a ram with a speed over 2933 mhz it doesnt warn me when making a build on this site.

Of course it will not warn you.

Impossible (tremendous amount of work) to make a filter for all existing boards with compatible ram modules in mind.

Just consult the QVL of the baord or Ram module in question you wanna purchase.

And on top of that a friend of mine told me I had to go over 3200 mhz with the 2700x but is that even possible?

Going over, with what logic?

3200MHz will work, 3000MHz will work, and as low as you can go (2133MHz) will work too.

So if a board supports modules faster than 3200MHz, you can go with those, but you can choose low frequency ram modules as well.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

May I just ask you one simple question then, is the G.Skill Sniper X 8x2GB 3466 mhz compatible?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

...is the G.Skill Sniper X 8x2GB 3466 mhz compatible?

Is that the ram module?

https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3466c18d-16gsxw

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes thats the right one Sorry for the late reply btw

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Normally the most of those should support Ryzen CPUs.

But it comes down to the Part number.

There are modules with Samsung and Hynix memory chips.

And that has something in common with the speed of those modules.

3200MHz modules are specifically designed for Intel builds for example.

https://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/8/5/8572_200_skill-sniper-ddr4-3200-16gb-dual-channel-memory-review.jpg

Also high timings of CL 19 (like the 3600Mhz modules) seems also to be more suited for Intel builds.

But i hope, those modules at that speed and those timings are using Samsung ICs.

The only board that's tested with those ram modules is the MSI X470 GAMING M7 AC.

With an BIOS update, they should work at those speeds with other X470 MSI boards as well.

They may even fully compatible as we speak.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it hard to update your bios? The thing is I have a feeling that it will work but I'm still scared of getting it and then it doesnt work. I'm trying to look at builds and some people go with the Crosshair 7 Hero and the 3400 mhz version. But like I dont really get why it wouldnt work with the ram module and the motherboard, I have no problem with changing the motherboard aslong as it isnt too expensive.

also I found this website https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator Went to choose the motherboard and all that, the best ram that the website showed was the G.Skill Trident Z 3200 mhz. Will that work with the 2700x too?

and like you said if you choose the M7 on the website the Sniper X module comes up, so you might be right about that. I'm fine with going with the Trident Z, adds some more rgb to it too.

and above all that all the builds I found contained ram modules over 2933 mhz so it doesnt seem to be a problem for them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube