add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing PSU fan to an RGB fan

LostElement
  • 20 months ago

As for the why, I am experimenting. Having fun. Cost isn't a concern. I know how dangerous a PSU's internals can be, but I know what I am doing. I've replaced PSU fans several times before. Make sure everything is discharged before touching anything.

I am going to purchase a cheaper power supply, a Corsair CX450M, and the ever expensive but amazing looking Corsair LL120. I realize that I'll be voiding the warranty. Now, it looks like the fan has two sets of cables. One for the initial fan itself and one for RGB? So, I would likely have to run the RGB cable out from the PSU and into the motherboard. Another concern is that the fan header is likely a two pin, and probably can't provide enough power for the fan, so I'll likely have to run that out of the PSU and connect it to a fan header or fan hub. At least that would give me PWM control.

Is there anything else I am missing? Does it require an RGB controller? If it does, do I have to use a specific one, or can I use any of them? Thanks.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You might have to buy a Corsair Commander Pro (the fan RGB lighting is controlled by software) and get some kind of splitter/extension cable to power the fan.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If this little project goes well, then I'll be putting it in build for a friend of mine. Commander Pro is 64$ on Amazon. Unfortunately pricey, but oh well. Sometimes having fun/experimenting can be expensive. Thanks.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Alternatively, you could buy a HD120/SP120/ML120 RGB, and use the attached controller.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Case Fan *Corsair - ML120 PRO RGB 47.3 CFM 120mm Fan $26.97 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $26.97
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 22:54 EDT-0400
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I've thought of that, but I like the look of the LL120 too much. Plus, go big or go home, right?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, it would be more inexpensive (as you won’t have to buy the Commander Pro

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually don’t need the commander pro, but I would need the Lighting node.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you should post pictures of the completed project. Many people would be interested in how it turns out.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe I will.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be appreciated. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube