add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
liquidforce134

19 months ago

I've had this build for almost exactly 6 months now and it has been so great to game and work on. I am looking into upgrading it over this summer now that I have some more money from work. Any items that stick out or should be upgrade right away? I would also love and ssd but if any other part makes more sense to upgrade, please say. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor Purchased For $169.99
Motherboard MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $44.99
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory Purchased For $160.17
Storage Seagate - FireCuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $87.99
Video Card Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB Dual Video Card Purchased For $189.99
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $69.99
Keyboard Razer - Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $0.00
Mouse Razer - Taipan Wired Laser Mouse Purchased For $0.00
Headphones Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $0.00
Other TP-Link TL-PA8010 KIT AV1200 Gigabit Powerline Starter Kit Purchased For $59.99
Other 24" Acer P244W DVI Blu-ray 1080p Widescreen LCD Monitor w/HDCP Support (Black) Purchased For $0.00
Other MasterWatt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply for Computers Purchased For $32.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $816.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-24 17:44 EDT-0400

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The first question I'd ask is if there's anything you're particularly unsatisfied about, regarding this build's performance in your use case.

Otherwise, I'd suggest adding an SSD large enough for you to install your operating system and programs that generally take longer to load.

I wouldn't have gone with that PSU, so you could upgrade it if you want. Realistically, it's probably not a firebomb, and the differences might only be observable after scrutinizing it with an oscilloscope, and not in day-to-day use.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Firebomb?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, it's not likely at all, but a bad PSU can be a fire hazard. Your unit appears to have the basic protections necessary to minimize that risk.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been hearing this buzz coming from the psu but when I move the power cord it goes away and then eventually comes back. Is that something I should be worrying about?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't tell you what the sound is, exactly, but if it's not the sound of the fan, it may be coil whine, which is usually just an annoyance, and perhaps a sign of poor quality control.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I think it is coil whine. Any ideas on an ssd?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

What psu would you recommend for a replacement. I definitely don't want my psu to stop working or do something worse.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The boot time really does bother sometimes when I want to jump on really quick so I usually just grab my surface and use it for quick tasks. I'd love to get an SSD. Any recommendations on size or just what one?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd personally go with a 250GB Crucial MX500. You could go for a cheaper one that would still be noticeably faster than an HDD, but I think the MX500 series is generally a good bet now.

You may want a larger one to make transferring over your data easier, unless you plan on doing a clean reinstall of Windows.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I want to transfer. I have over 1tb on this computer.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd want to move your misc. data onto another hard drive, then shrink your boot partition until it can fit on your SSD. Then used your preferred cloning software to clone onto the SSD (and ensure the copy is bootable).

Recall that a 250GB SSD doesn't actually offer 250 GB of space, as displayed by Windows. Part of this extends from the Kibibyte vs Kilobyte discrepancy, so whether you purchase a 250GB or 500GB SSD (or whichever capacity suits you), do ensure that you downsize your boot partition sufficiently before copying. Expanding a partition to take up more unallocated space after copying it over is not difficult.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok so what could I do right now to get ready transfer windows from my sshd to my ssd that I don't have yet?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe get an SSD to switch OS and important software to, and the obvious thing to do in an upgrade is upgrade your CPU and GPU, so I will recommend Ryzen 7 Processor with a 1070 or 1070 Ti GPU, assuming your upgrade budget isn't in the thousands.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I wasn't thinking about upgrading my cpu or gpu right now. I would like to in the future but right now they work completely fine for me and I haven't run into any problems with them. I do believe that an SSD would be the right choice right now.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, other than that, everything looks great

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube