add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Premier Pro Dual Xeon Bronze 3104's vs X299?

BlueTrooper2544

17 months ago

I am moving to 4k video editing (H.264) in premier pro and am wondering if my 8600K (6c/6t) will be able to hold up... I don't think it will. I also do CAD work on the side. I am also running out of storage, and would like to move to a separate storage server so I can access the storage on multiple PCs. According to Puget Systems, they are not recommending dual Xeons for premier pro, as it likes a mix of cores and clockspeeds. Threadripper/Ryzen just unfortunate doesn't work great for PP. I can get two Xeon Bronze 3104 (6c/6t) processors for $234 each, with another $100 if I want the Bronze 3106 (8c/8t). I am looking at the Asus WS C621E Sage motherboard for around $500. I am worried about my Z370 system because it has 4 ram slots, and I have 16GB occupying 2 of the slots, maxing me out at 32GB, whereas I could go up to 64GB on X299 and I would have to buy new ram for the Xeon system.

So, cost wise...

X299 7900X (10c/20t) - $800 Asus Rampage VI Extreme - $620 (could go with another, cheaper one, but I love the Extreme.

Xeon 2x Bronze 3104 (12c/12t) - $470 Asus WS C621E Sage - $550 16GB ECC Ram (to start) - $160 8600K Gaming System

I could use the Xeon as a server as well, as the C621E Sage has 10 Sata ports and 4 U.S ports... In all, the Xeon system is about $300 cheaper. meaning I could buy more RAM. I know the 7900X would perform better, but do you think the Xeon makes more sense since it is cheaper, has more ram, (possibly), and can act as my storage server?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing as you yourself say Premier Pro likes a mix of cores and clock speed, what makes you think the Xeon Bronze (which only runs at 1.7 Ghz - and is fixed, no turbo on this model) will be the best choice in that scenario?

Even two of them, I would expect to lag the 8600K let alone a 7900K in applications that are sensitive to clock speed. For what it's worth I think the Xeon Bronze looks like a bit of a plodder by todays standards - cpubenchmark

I imagine it's aimed more at servers than workstation applications.

As for the file storage issue - assuming it's local storage over a small home network that you need, you don't need a Xeon based server for that. I would suggest something like a Synology NAS, or if you have a spare, somewhat modern PC (just something non-ancient, doesn't need to be high spec) which could take a good number of disks, you could even use that as a headless "server" running NAS4Free or something like that.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

A pair of either of those Xeons will run all of your workloads slower than your 8600K.

I do not even understand how those Xeons are on your map. Huge waste of effort. Don't bother.

Do a 7940X build.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I just came to that conclusion, hoping Intels X299 refresh ups the core count

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube