add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To you car guys here...

LostElement
  • 20 months ago

...how much money have you put into your car ( not counting general maintainence, I.E Oil Changes and brake pads ) and how much money do you plan on putting in your car?

I, for Instance, have put a lot of money in worth of repairs. Little over a grand. I plan on putting considerably more money into it. I drive a little 93’ Toyota, and I love the thing enough to put down some serious cash for it. Superchargers, new engine parts, etc.

Easily going to cost well over 10 grand. How about you?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I've put a couple thousand into my 2002 Mustang GT (bolt-ons, wheels, etc), it has 210k miles now though so I'm not doing anything more until I get a new daily, then the Mustang will go down for new paint, suspension, and a Coyote swap. Plenty of my friends have put several life savings worth into their cars over the years though. Most recently one of my friends has already put somewhere in the neighborhood of $10-15k into his fox body over the past 4 years, and just as he got it back on the road last week from installing a laundry list of parts, the engine decided it didn't want to have oil in it anymore. After assessing the damage, another engine swap is in order, another few weeks and another few thousand.

Bottom line, if you have the cash to spare, and you want to put the time, money, and love (and tears and cursing) into the car, why not. As Adrew24 mentioned though, just know what you're getting into so you don't go in way over your head (and budget). I'd recommend just making double sure there are no huge underlying issues with the car (frame, gearbox, etc) that would come up and bite you after you've already sunk significant time and money into it. And whatever you think it will cost, if you can't afford to spend double that, save up.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I like where your plans are headed. 5.0 swap is a great way to go.. its worth it for most sn95s and s197s

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I just got my 16 Ford Focus and I put in about $360 total so far. $200 on rotors, $100 on the rear cargo shelf and $60 for floor mats. Now the car isn’t missing anything or making any noises, just hit 42K miles, all ready to go.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Step 1: Throw tubs under it

Step 2: Install 13" Mickeys

Step 3: Slam it

Step 4: Paint it candy purple

Step 5: Install neons

Step 6: Profit.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

this guy knows what to do lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What model is it? Some cars aren't worth modding, or are a ton of work, time, and money to mod.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s a DLX. I plan to restore the engine and add in as many performance parts I can while still passing smog. Maybe I’ll supercharge it for bragging rights (Potentially a huge waste of money but meh.)

Money, doesn’t matter. I’ll save up. I got plenty of time and the work doesn’t bother me.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If your goal is offroading, then go for it. Otherwise, you're better off getting a miata, s2000, or MR2 if you want to make a respectable tuner for below 10k. Or... https://www.flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-parts/cars-for-sale.html Check out the blue one at the bottom.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah, not offroading. Not my thing. I just want to make this truck unique and have fun with it. It's my everyday vehicle.

I don't care for value, I just want to restore it and make it look good while obeying smog laws and not making it too flashy. As in, no 20" rims, underglow, and carbon fibre parts with exhaust set in a way where it's loud as hell.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of S2K can you get for under $10k?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you like little old trucks look into 4g63T swapping an old Mitsubishi Mighty Max / Dodge Ram 50. Or some of the old Datsun 620's are beautiful when finished. Almost look like El Camino esque GTR's

If your pockets are semi deep theres always the GMC Syclone also. Those are factory stop light to stop light rippers. Lots of torque and tons of traction. Fun little trucks. Even for todays standards it would put a hurting on basically all the RWD sports/muscle cars from a dig.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the older mitsubishi/chrysler deal vehicles really want to buy a gallant/challenger and do a 4g63 swap in it

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a 1990 Talon Tsi AWD and a 97 Tsi AWD, both 1st gen 6 bolt. Great little engines.

Some of the neatest 4g63 swaps are into the Starion/Conquest, Mighty Max/ Ram 50, and the Colt/Mirage

I don't think I'd ever get back into the DSM scene again unless I found a really clean Galant Vr4, and it would have to be too perfect to resist for me to dive back into that insanity. MAYBE a perfect unmolested 97-98 Talon AWD, but it'd have to have black leather interior and thats extremely rare lol.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I live in the new england region and i was doing mycl window shopping like usual and there was a really clean vr4 up for sale dont remember how much it was going for but wasnt that much.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I also drive a 1993 toyota. I have put some money into all of my cars. I also do all my work myself.

I have spent zillions of dollars on all my cars though. I have owned some very heavily modified cars.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I love my little Toyota. I wouldn’t have any other pickup truck.

Do you know if they make dual caliper brackets for the 93?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I drive an SW20 Mr2. Lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 97 Ford Explorer, and i think over time i spent a couple grand on it, and should put about 1000 more to get it right, but sadly, the blue book value tells me that it is really not worth it. i dont really spend money on mods and stuff anymore.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Looking to put about 1,000 into my Chrysler Sebring. It's the limited variant with the 3.5l so I don't really think I need any modifications in regards to power. But, I would like to repaint it, add some nice white underglows to it, and perhaps redo some of the interior. But, I'm not looking to go broke or completely waste my money, lol.

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

Thats all 100% a waste of money. Lol

None of that will add a dime of value to the car.

• 20 months ago
  • 0 points

Not looking for value. Looking for aesthetics. It's not a waste of money if I will better enjoy the look of my car for the 3-4 years I plan on keeping it. I could argue it's a waste of money anytime someone adds anything to their car that will allow them to go past 70 mph (I guess 80 in the states that allow it).

• 20 months ago
  • 4 points

I took "worth it" as being able to get the money you spent for the mods back out of the car on resale.

Also FWIW, people are going to call a sebring with underglow a ricer 100% of the time.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, well then you're probably right. I'd say the interior fixes may be worth it, especially during resale, as people will offer less if there are torn seats. Not sure if it will even out, but even if it gets close then I get to enjoy the seats for a while, then recoup at least a bit of that investment.

EDIT: Wait...they're going to call this a "ricer?"

Are they on crack?

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Anything with underglow is rice. Underglow itself is as rice as rice gets. Thats how it works. Your car WILL get laughed at with underglow.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I could argue it's a waste of money anytime someone adds anything to their car that will allow them to go past 70 mph (I guess 80 in the states that allow it).

Some people build cars to race

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

But, I'm not looking to go broke or completely waste my money, lol.

Anything you do to a Sebring (really anything you do to 90% of the cars out there is in the sense of ROI) is a waste of money. You won't get any of your investment back.

Oh, and its slow in case that was up for debate?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and its slow in case that was up for debate?

IDK about that. 3.5l with a relatively light frame leads it to be pretty quick. Just slightly beat by my cousins V8 Cadillac CTS, which I definitely wouldn't call slow. Not race car fast, but not slow.

• 20 months ago
  • 5 points

IDK about that. 3.5l with a relatively light frame leads it to be pretty quick.

Not going to sugar coat anything, it makes like 15 more horsepower than a 2018 Civic.

Just slightly beat by my cousins V8 Cadillac CTS

The only V8 CTS is a V and you wouldn't have a chance in the world against either generation. Unless your cousin had 4 passengers and was towing a camper

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

This.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Wanna do it the right way? Drop a crate Coyote or LS7 in there. Wanna do it the jank way? Yank the engine out of an old suburban and tune the ever living **** out of it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Coyotes too expensive as a viable swap motor, LS7 is mediocre and needs head/valve work out of the box, and it's like $20,000 new.

LS1/LS3 are the best swap options. LS2 isn't worth the cost over an LS1 but if you can afford it the LS3 is likely the "best" LS engine as it's got a good starting point power wise and doesn't break the bank like an LS7 that gets far worse mileage and a whole 60 more horsepower

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Your car hasn't got a "frame". it has a unibody. And its heavy. your car weighs 3300lbs or more, depending on options.

Its absolutely not fast and something HAD to be wrong with the CTS for that to happen as the only V8 CTS is the V model.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Its absolutely not fast and something HAD to be wrong with the CTS for that to happen

He was faster than the truck towing the CTS

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

lol had to be.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, true, no frame. 3,300 lbs is not all that heavy, though. But, you're also right, my cousin lied and overhyped his engine because it's definitely not a CTS-V (those are 2018 only, right? If so, definitely not a V). I'd have to guess it's a 3.6, then. Not sure if it's the turbo or not, though. My car get's a 0-60 in about 6.7 seconds (dear God, just looked up the CTS-V 0-60....4.6 seconds...damn) while my cousins is around 6 flat.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

No, the CTS-V was offered for lots of years. You'd see this when you looked it up. Its been around since the mid 2000s.

What generation is your cousins? unless its 2014 or newer its not going to have a turbo motor.

Also, 3300lbs is pretty hefty and your car could weigh as much as 3900lbs with the options you have. 3300 is the base model 4 cylinder so yours is already going to be in the 3500 range.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

(dear God, just looked up the CTS-V 0-60....4.6 seconds...damn)

4.6 is decent

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I have about 5k invested in my SRT4. 2-3k put into fixing the rear quarter panel (Minessota car previously so salt roads destroyed it) Then recently im about 2k invested getting a clutch/subframe/timing belt,water pump etc. job being done. The price may go up depending on if he finds more things wrong with the car and suggesting for me to replace whatever is needed. I have plans to put a bigger turbo on it, but first i need to fix whats important.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you on the stock trans?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yessir stock trans and i still have 3rd gear :) 100k later. Its getting some major love done to it.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, youll need to build the trans if you want to go BT.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean unless your putting down big numbers possibly, but i know many people that have gone big turbo with stock trans, but with an aftermarket clutch. Plus i dont intend to drag it or anything except spirited drives and chasing down v8's when im bored :)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I am not sure i would put 10 grand into a toyota. But to each their own and if it is something that you love and will keep. Then its all up to you!

So do what makes you happy!

But I have not spent a ton on either of my cars. my DD is just oil changes for now as its a 2016. Other DDs prior i have put in enough here and there. The other car. Havnt spent a ton on it. But it will slowly get there if house funds dont take over lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive only put a little less than a grand into my Stratus (3g Eclipse based coupe not the sedan) and the power is fine enough for me for now but i want to do the dohc 6g74 swap which i can only find one other person has done online . Handling is another story though going to get some coilovers soon.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I have about $450 in "mods" into my 4,500lb sedan and it runs low 12's, not taking it any further though.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol this thread is incredibly full of **** I don't understand! Great read though! :) Nice little argument between Tiny and Tragik

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The current car, a 96 accord, only has a few hundred bucks into it... Full intake and exhaust with a few minor upgrades to the steering system, hid headlights, and aftermarket stereo headset... Not much really... It makes alot more torque than stock, but the hp is barely more than it had at factory 20+ years ago lol. The fun thing about Hondas is that upgrades are cheaper than repairs, so a cat back cost me less than a stock muffler, and the header and intake are not too expensive either :P

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube