add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Free 8.1 > 10 upgrade?

Memo1010
  • 24 months ago

My co-worker told me that since Microsoft is phasing out Windows 8 so you can once more upgrade to 10 for free. I have Windows 8.1 pro. I looked into it in Microsoft's website and found nothing, anyone know if it's actually a thing?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

You can use any legitimate key from Windows 7 and up to activate Windows 10. As long as you don't try to jump to a different edition/'grade'. Ex: Win 8 Home will upgrade to Win 10 Home, but not Win 10 Pro, etc. I just upgraded two Windows 7 Pro workstations to Windows 10 Pro last week. The original OEM sticker keys that come on the machines are accepted first time no question by the Windows 10 activation tool.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

How would you do this?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

The most straightforward way would to just get the ISO file of Windows 10 and mount it on your existing system. Run the executable and it will give you some prompts on saving existing user files, etc and then it will do the rest of the upgrade itself. It would be a good idea to save any important files in an additional location beforehand in case something gets messed up. You can download the iso file here. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Won't it ask for a Windows 10 key? I don't have one...I could get more Windows 8.1 keys easily and free (totally legal, trust me), but I doubt those will work for Windows 10

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

It will 100% work. If you already have an activated copy of Win7/8/8.1 and do the upgrade to Windows 10, it will automatically be activated after the upgrade is done. If you do a fresh install of Windows 10 you'll have to activate the copy, but it will accept W7/8/8.1 keys no problem. Just put it in as if it was a Win10 key.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I had the chance to test that yesterday when I did a clean install of Windows 10 on a laptop that originally came with Windows 8.1. The installer did not prompt me to enter a key, and Windows automatically activated itself. It's definitely a thing.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If your pc is from a OEM, probably you don't need any code for Win 10. Most of OEM manufacturer embed the OS key in UEFI BIOS, and it works for Win 8 and newer version. You must install the same version of Windows (if you have Win 8.1 Pro, you must install Win 10 Pro)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube