add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Any Gym gurus here?

LostElement
  • 21 months ago

I’ve recently got a membership to the gym. I plan on going 2-3 times a week with my first focus on weight loss. Cardio is the best way to lose weight. I am not in a rush, and I don’t want to make my arms and legs sore to the point where it hurts too much to lift anything heavy, because my job requires me to lift and lug heavy things.

My friends who go to the gym regularly, say you must push yourself and have it so where you are very sore, otherwise you won’t see progress. They’re no experts, so I am doubtful. In my eyes, burned calories is burned calories, and so long as you maintain a decent diet, progess would be made.

I am 5’ 7” and weight 201lbs, so I have a little weight on me. I want to cut it down and eventually get a decent body. After the weight loss, I want to focus on upper body strength. Aiming for actual strength instead of bodybuilding. What are some methods that have worked for you?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Train hard, eat good and sleep enough are basically the most important things.

After the weight loss, I want to focus on upper body strength.

Skipping legs is not a good idea. If you want to burn alot of calories Squating or deadlifts will burn the most since they train alot of muscles at the same time. So essentially they are the core of any decent training to acquire strength.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I figure cardio would help with legs, no? And isn’t cardio the best? That’s what I’ve heard, at least.

Train hard, Maybe. I can’t do it too hard, otherwise I’d be too weak for work. I can’t have that. I have to lift a lot of heavy stuff.

Eating good isn’t terribly difficult and I average 8 hours of sleep.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, I figure cardio would help with legs, no

Not much, no.

And isn’t cardio the best?

Cardio is good, but squats and deadlifting will increase the size of your quadriceps and hamstrings. These being pretty large muscles will require a decent a relatively large amount of calories to sustain. This will increase the calorie consumption when doing cardio. It's also not advisable, at least so I was told by my old biology teach (former surgeon), to do cardio after lifting. He said that it can decrease the amount of available HGH in the blood after lifting. But, I don't know if there is any efficacy in this.

I recommend you take a balanced approach to lifting. You can't cut corners and work on just certain muscles groups. If you aren't squatting, you aren't gaining. And, if you aren't working your core you'll be balancing a top on a stick.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Cardio isn't really the best form of weight loss alone. If you want to lose weight then the best thing to do is balance cardio with weight lifting. While cardio is good for you, When done alone without working other parts of your body then it just tales a long time to acomplish your goal. And whike upper body strength is important, Leg strength is just as if not more important. As Enrico said deadlifting is a great way to lose weight when balanced with cardio. I am not saying max out your weight at the gym everyday. But if you want to lift heavy stuff more easily then building your legs is the best way to go. As far as specific cardio goes, Swimming (If your gym has a pool, Or you have east access to one) is probably the best way to not only lose weight but to tone your muscles at the same time. Not only will it help build your arms, legs, and , But it will also build your endurance. While running is good for you, When you are weight it puts a lot more pressure on your knees then needed, And in some cases can cause as much hard as good.

I advise that when you go to the gym. You do weight lifting for 45 minutes to an hour, Then swim a mile. I did that for 2 months and dropped 25 pounds.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

After the weight loss, I want to focus on upper body strength.

You should start with strength as your goal. Training in general will lose body fat and turn some into muscle. I'd still certainly throw cardio in but it shouldn't be your primary focus if your end goal is also strength. If you lose your fat before strength training you're setting yourself a behind on your secondary goal in a sense. People trying to stack muscle typically do a bulk phase where they consume 50%+ of their daily recommend calories for this specific purpose. You still want the calories to come from the right places though and liquid calories don't weigh as heavily. Obviously don't just eat a large #4 at McDonalds and say "Well there's half my daily calories."

I personally enjoy Beach Body programs for their in home methods of training. Some programs may require a bench and free weights but most can be done cheaply with improvised methods and resistance bands. The programs aren't too expensive and come with meal plans for different goals. For general fitness I'd consider any of the P90x programs, Tony Horton is a great leader/instructor for their programs, or you could try Insanity. I'm personally doing a round of Body Beast currently and enjoying it so far, though Sagi Kalev isn't my favorite PT personality by any means. Lots of options out there for other programs besides Beach Body as well if you don't want to physically go to the gym and whats great is they help guide you to complete body fitness, not over training any specific muscle group.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My dad and I got one about 3 weeks ago and we have been going 4-5 days a week and even started taking a friend. from what I've seen, do the cardio some but not all the time and if you really want to lose weight and bulk up, try crossfit.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube