add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need a new cord?

Memo1010
  • 24 months ago

My brand new GTX 1050Ti has an HDMI port but no VGA port. I have an extra VGA cable, and there is a VGA port on the mobo's IO ports. Can I just hook it up there or do I need to go out and buy an HDMI cable?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to use the GPU you need to plug a cable into it and not the motherboard, otherwise you'd use the integrated graphics on your CPU. So you need to buy an HDMI cable.

[comment deleted]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

As Vareten mentioned, if you use the motherboard's video ports, you'd use the integrated graphics, and not your 1050ti.

If your monitor supports it, use HDMI on both ends. (Or if both your card and monitor support DVI or Displayport, use one of those, though I wouldn't recommend investing in a DVI cable at this point, if you have better alternatives.)

If you have to go from HDMI to VGA, you would need an active adapter. If your monitor only supports VGA and DVI-D, you could get a passive adapter (or just a cable) that goes from HDMI To DVI-D.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube