add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheapest place to get Win8.1 Pro x64?

Kumiko

16 months ago

I found it on Newegg first as a download, but $140 seems very steep to me just for an OS :\ And there may be tax which could raise it to about $160. I've seen it before for about $85, so I'm wondering if I can find more COMPLETELY LEGITIMATE copies for anything less than $140.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Well....

1. Why Windows 8.1? We have Windows 10, which is miles better. Windows 8.1 is bad. Everyone agrees on this.

2. Your cheaper choices are the Home versions of Windows 10 and 8.1. The Pro versions of Windows 10 go for $190, and ANY version of Windows 7 goes for $175 at minimum.

Anything cheaper than $80 is a scam/black market keys. Do not buy these.

You can go with the home versions, wait for a sale, or suck it up and buy it for $140. Or install Linux. I occasionally use ZorinOS recreationally, and it's a lot like Windows 10.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

and it's a lot like Windows 10.

Key work is "like" though, its still not Windows, and if OP hopes to play games or run Windows applications, it's not going to work so easily. Yes there are things like Wine that can help, but it's still not the same, and depending on the flavor of Linux you go with and what you need to accomplish with it, there may be a significant learning curve.

OP, any particular reason you need 8.1 Pro specifically? Also, depends on where you live, but Newegg does not charge sales tax to a majority of the US. Yeah there are all the privacy concerns and people complaining about Win10, but bottom line is if you need a Windows environment and you have to purchase the OS now, 10 is likely your best option. Personally I've not had any significant issues using Win10.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been using Win8.1 for years and I'm used to it.

I've decided to get Win10 at best buy because I just prefer a physical copy and I need an activation key. I'll likely use a USB to install it, and just keep the disc in case I need to do a restore or something.

I forgot about the no sales tax thing with newegg. I believe only California and maybe 2 other states are charged tax.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

Gotcha, I definitely understand the personal preference. Realistically the cheapest option was to get 10, Microsoft stopped shipping 8.1 in 2015, so that's why its difficult to get a legitimate copy at a reasonable price now.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up buying Win10 Home Edition at best buy today for $120, then tax made it $132. Buying online seems cheaper for some reason :\ But I don't wanna wait a week + pay shipping just to save $20.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

The cheaper ones you see online are most likely the OEM version (usually around $90), which once installed, is tied to the motherboard of that system and cannot be transferred. If you want a physical copy buying from a store like Best Buy is probably the best you can do. To avoid sales tax one option is to buy from Newegg if you live somewhere they don't charge, but like you said that involves waiting for shipping. I prefer to buy a digital copy and create an installation usb stick since it's the exact same thing you get on the physical media you bought, but that obviously also means another system has to be available to create the installation media in the first place.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I would prefer to use Linux, but I'm forced to use Windows or I can't play games :\ I only keep windows for games. I tried Zorin, but not for long because I couldn't use wifi. I have a Netgear A6100 adapter.

I've been using Win8.1 for years and I'm used to it. I've only heard bad things about Win10.

I know those very cheap keys aren't legit. My only option for a physical copy of windows is best buy about 40 minutes away. I'd rather use a physical copy than buy online, download, then something not work and I'm screwed out of my money.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

The good outweigh the bad. I hated every bit of Windows 8.1. Windows 10 was a real upgrade for me.

As far as online copies, it's stupidly simple. They simply give you a windows code that you can use to activate Windows.

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

The downloaded media is identical to the physival media. Burn it onto a USB and go.

The bad things you heard about 10 is all about the trickery MS used to upgrade people to 10. Nothing about the iser experience.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube