add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

WDEZEX Caviar Blue 1TB not showing correct free space (owned about 2.5yrs)

Kumiko

20 months ago

I use it to store all my games, some backups and mods. It's usually around 900GB full. Anyway, I deleted some games to free up like another 50GB of space. I had about 48GB free before, then only like 64GB. I'm not sure why it's not showing the proper amount, but I'm guessing it's starting to die. Could it be my MFT is corrupt or the drive is just starting to slowly die?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Are there SMART errors showing on the drive? Read errors? Weird noises? Before assuming the drive is failing, first empty the recycle bin to make sure what you've deleted is not in there. A common cause of incorrect free space showing is file system corruption. Right click the start menu and open up Powershell in admin mode, and type chkdsk c: /f (replacing c: with whatever the drive letter is) to check the file system and correct any fixable errors.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply! I always keep my recycle bin emptied, so that's not it. I scanned it for errors and looks fine. Gonna try powershell now. I haven't tried that, just the common/usual scanning with the built-in windows stuff and CCleaner/Defraggler. I don't remember how I scanned it exactly...

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Using windows powershell, it found no issues. I could be wrong and maybe the space is accurate, but I doubt it. I don't wanna wipe it because I have so many things installed, backed up and no way to completely backup my data.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

That's good anyway. Another thing to check is whether System Restore is enabled on the drive. These restore images can take up a lot of space and don't show up in programs like WinDirStat.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, this drive is only for game storage. My OS is on a SSD. Samsung 850 EVO 250GB. I never once had any OS on my HDD. System Restore doesn't have any files on my HDD

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

All I can suggest then really is use a program like WinDirStat to analyze the space usage on the drive. This will show how much space is being used by files, and where the files are. Enabling the "show unknown" option will show how much space is being used by hidden stuff (it shows the difference between the total space used by files accessible by WDS, and the reported free space on the drive). Typically this is stuff in the hidden System Volume Information folder like system restore points.

To test drive health, WD offer a diagnostics program (Data Lifeguard) - https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Also note a 1 Tb drive shows as roughly 931 Gb in Windows (mainly because of differences between how Windows and storage manufacturers define a gigabyte...) - a source of confusion.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the link, and yeah windows shows the capacity is 932GB or so. I know it's because it's measured differently. Like 1,000KB/1,024KB = 1MB

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you actually delete the game, or it just landed in Windows' Recycling Bin? Try emptying it first, then see if you get more free space. :)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not talking about any particular game, and I already said I keep my bin emptied.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

How did you delete the game? Did you uninstall it, or you manually deleted the game from your drive (e.g. in File Explorer)?

How do you know the removed game took up 50 GB of space?

Are you aware, that some Steam games share libraries? Thus if two games use the same libraries, removing one of them will still keep the shared libraries on your machine.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, I'm not talking about a specific game. I uninstalled, then deleted the folder to be sure it's gone and double-checked my bin. I'm not the average user, I've been on steam for like 4 years and built and owned my PC for 2.5yrs now.

I'm not sure of the exact amount of data, it just seemed off by quite a bit.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, if you are not sure how much you deleted, you don't have anything more than a gut feeling that something went wrong.

Sometimes gut feelings are misleading.

I would suggest checking next time the exact amount of data you are going to delete and see if that's how much extra free space you gain. Keep using the drive and keep an eye on it.

My WD drive is more than 8 years old now and still works perfectly fine. I don't suppose you're that unlucky to get your drive damaged in a few years. (Does the warranty still last?)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I was gonna check exactly how much was gonna be deleted next time, then check the free space again to confirm if it's accurate or not.

I thought HDD's only lasted about 3yrs minimum to like 5 or 6? Either way, I need to backup my irreplaceable data :\ I can always just download games again, but I can't just replace personal info or pics.

I forgot how long the warranty lasts, but probably just a year I think, but possibly 3 or 5. I still make the mistake of throwing away the boxes and stuff :\ I need to remember to keep them just in case something goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply and tips~

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube