add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5-8600k or Ryzen 5 1600x?

LoyalDerp

23 months ago

I need help, trying to figure out if I should go with the 8600k or 1600x. The cooler I will be running with them wil lbe the EVGA CLC 280.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

For what purpose? For what budget?

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

My budget is around 1600-1700$, I will pair it with a 1070. It will be for gaming and maybe some streaming and recording but mostly gaming.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

8600k is a lot better in gaming than the 1600x. Its faster and could push 144hz a lot easier.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your answer, will it go good with the 1070?

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

yup

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 23 months ago
  • 2 points

The 1600+motherboard is a bit cheaper. The 8600k can push a few more frames. As far as streaming performance goes, it depends on your setup and games.

Each has its pros and cons. If you are aiming for a high refresh rate and prioritize gaming over streaming, I'd definitely say the 8600k.

If you don't care about high refresh rates or plan on playing at like, 1440p@60Hz, then saving the money with Ryzen might be a good option.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm planning on going like 1080p at 120hz or 144hz.

I'll be streaming mostly Rainbow Six Siege and as far as my setup goes I have 2 monitors, a gaming mouse and a gaming keyboard and that's about it.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not familiar with RSS but I'd lean toward the 8600k for your usage.

By setup I meant the programs and configurations you use for streaming, haha. I should have specified.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh okay, program wise I'll mainly be using OBS and Sony Vegas if I record/stream. I would most likely go 720p/1080p with 30 or 60 fps when I stream and that's about it.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Neither of the CPUs will be able to push 144 and stream at the same time. Ryzen generally has a hard time pushing much past 100, but it steams excellently. Intel, on the other hand, can push high frames, but will suffer hard when it comes to streaming at the same time.

Ryzen will give you a more consistent experience, but Intel will give you more framerates wen not streaming. I would personally recommend Ryzen 7 1700 as it's the same price as the 8600k (or cheaper!) but it has much better multi threaded performance. AM4 has a long life ahead of it, and generally has more options.

If you won't be streaming often, Intel may be the way to go. It will give you higher FPS in most games, so it can take advantage of the 144Hz refresh rate of that monitor of yours.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Ryzen is actually perfect for this use case because R6:S is heavily multi threaded (It'll use up to 12-16 threads if it needs to). It's actually one of the few games where a stock 1700 can match a 7700k, if not slightly beat it.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, on Newegg (which is where I'll be ordering all the parts from) the 1700 is about 40$ more expensive than the i5-8600k. Though I saw that the 1700x is only 4$ more than the 1700. Is it Worth spending 4$ on the 1700x over the 1700? Also the 1700 only has a 3 Ghz Operating Frequency, does that mean it's slower than a 3.6Ghz cpu. I'm not the best at PCs but I know some so just asking. I looked it up and the total summary of all the parts were cheaper with the 1700x, it summed up to 1490$ when you remove the cryptocurrency price of the GPU if that makes any sense.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dgqbtg (part list)

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Either go with the 8600K or put the extra money saved by going AMD to getting a R7.

Performance wise the 8600K with an overclock leaves little reason to go with a R5 and at that budget either build for platform strengths with heavily threaded performance (R7) or go for single threaded performance(8600K).

Attempting to mix and match is only going to leave you with lower end performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube