add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading a XPS 8700

Brooklyn_T0n198

16 months ago

I got this XPS 8700 for free. It's HDD had died, but changing it out was not an issue. It has 12 GB of RAM and a i7-4770. The GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 7000 series that has 1 GB of GDDR5. That was respectable when this computer was new, but for me it probably won't work playing my games. It is an upgrade from my modded Optiplex 745 SFF, which has half the RAM, a Core 2 Quad Q6600, and an R7 240 GPU.

What GPU should I buy to put in this machine? Remember, this is a Dell, and I don't know if I can run cables for external power to the GPU. It should be possible, since it came with better cards. I have a budget of $400 for the graphics card, but would like to run 1080p resolution at around 60 fps. I am open to buying used graphics cards. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1050Ti should be on your short list. Especially considering the prices now..

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

I went to thebottlenecker.com, and it said that the 1050 Ti creates a 25% bottleneck (on the GPU side!) I heard that the 780 Ti is a good upgrade, but I would have to upgrade the PSU to a 650W if I did.

• 16 months ago
  • 3 points

it said that the 1050 Ti creates a 25% bottleneck (on the GPU side!)

That's not how it works. The 1050 Ti is a great card for 1080p-60Hz, it will run newer games at medium-high settings, and older ones at max settings. As long as you have a CPU that can push 60fps, (which the 4770 can,) there won't be any issue.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, take the word bottleneck and just erase it from your dictionary.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

1050ti without auxiliary power.

It would do well for 1080p and wouldn't require any cables since it is powered via the motherboard.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 for 1050Ti, great card and requires no external power.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

and requires no external power.

Depends on the card.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Very true. The EVGA Super Clocked one doesn't require extra power and I can vouch for it being a good card. I used one in a build I did recently and it performed excellent and overclocked very well.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally speaking, it's fine without auxiliary power. On double fan GPUs, it might not be a bad idea to get one that's auxiliary powered to prevent possible power bottlenecks. I don't really see a point to it on single fan units, though.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube