add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 5 1600 Overclock temps?

LoyalDerp

24 months ago

I was wondering what temps the Ryzen 5 1600 would get if I overclock it to about 3.8 or 3.9 GHz with the Corsair H100i.

Also I was wondering if I should get the 1600 or wait for the new Ryzen CPUs and see what they have to offer?

Comments

• 24 months ago
  • 2 points

I was wondering what temps the Ryzen 5 1600 would get if I overclock it to about 3.8 or 3.9 GHz with the Corsair H100i.

Really depends on how much voltage is needed to get there and if the IHS properly soldered.

Also I was wondering if I should get the 1600 or wait for the new Ryzen CPUs and see what they have to offer?

We have no idea of launch date only rumors, no confirmation that the process being used has even been validated for production, and no proof that they will offer any performance gains over current models...So with nothing solid to go on if you need now safe bet is to buy now or you may find yourself waiting awhile longer then the rumors would have everyone believe.

If you need Now always best to buy Now, because waiting on the next best thing will mean you never build or enjoy because something is always right around the corner rumored to launch "Soon".

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

You are doing unbelievably well if you get a 1600 to 3.8 or 3.9 GHz, I have my 1600x OC to 3.9 GHz with temps around 68 degrees at max load. I have a Corsair H75 as my cooler.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, that actually helps quite alot to know. Might actually go for the 1600x instead then! Thx for your answer. I'm thinking of going for the H115i or the EVGA CLC 280.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are wanting to get up to 3.9 GHz then yes, with the 1600 I would say you would get 3.6 GHz at best. Both are probably a bit overkill for cooling, but if you are not on a tight budget then go for it. Just be sure that whichever cooler you choose check that they come with a compatible bracket for a AM4 motherboard. Mine did not and I had to buy one.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I have my 1600 at 3.9GHz.... Max temps under stress testing are around 65 degrees on air cooling!

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

What voltage?

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

1.36v ish, might be a tad higher but definitely less than 1.37

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

My 5 1600 (not x) runs stable at 3.9 @ 1.38750 with stock cooler. I would imagine a better cooler might get me a bit more OC. but you never really know. I run two monitors.

Watching YouTube + web browsing might see 45. Mining gets me up into the mid 60s. Mining and gaming gets me near 70. These temps are only if I keep the room a touch cool.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Just a FYI the max safe voltage for Ryzen is 1.35V and Ryzen doesn't degrade, it just out fails at some point in time out of the blue.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I have heard that, but the thing is I cannot find anything from AMD saying that. Internet mysticism until I see something official from AMD on the subject. I am perfectly fine being proven wrong, so hit me up with a link if you can.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951-4.html?_ga=1.23068155.1932145986.1448157588

AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I have read that, but that isn't official AMD source. So-and-so says... no links to actual AMD documentation. I'm not trying to be (insert whatever you want here), but I want to see something from AMD.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Its Tomshardware, they are pretty credible source and I imagine that they aren't going to lie about what AMD said to them.

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't that what the stock voltage is? Surely you can go higher than that

• 24 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you properly stress tested that with something like prime95?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 24 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree that even when I am streaming whilst also gaming I will not hit 100% load. But if the system doesn't crash after 6-12 hours you have a very stable system.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube