add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Faulty graphics card or ram issue?

Zyraxx
  • 29 months ago

I will try to make it as brief as possible. Built this new pc a 2 months ago, everything was fine for maybe the first month then it started to crash and restart itself, sometimes with a buzzing sound. Replaced the new psu with another. Took it to a repair person they did tests on the hardware and found nothing wrong. The issue persisted and progressed into just freezes/hangs where i would have to manually start the pc. Then i found out my ram isn't on the compatibility list. I tried one stick at a time and in all different slots according to the mobo. All the settings in the bios were correct. I've done clean windows 10 installs, downloaded/reinstalled drivers. So maybe this is the cause of incompatible ram?

Currently, the monitor is randomly turning black with no signal but the lights/fans are on the pc or sometimes it restarts. I even had a weird screen issue where it went fuzzy at one point but it only happened once when installing the graphics card driver. Now I can't use the pc for more than 5 minutes without the screen going black with no signal. It also came up with a notification about the Nvidia driver on windows 10.

Done intel burn test no crash, memtest no errors, bios updated, hdd no problems, done virus scans.

Just want to know if it is a RAM or graphics issue, so i can replace it without spending money on something I don't need.

Thank you

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/yMfLWX

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

How did you do the memtest? Was it from a bootable media? If you tested it in the OS you won't be testing 100% of the mem.

Before you look into replacing the GPU test it with furmark or another GPU testing program. Test different ports, i.e. HDMI, DP, etc. Also try a different monitor or even a TV.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I did the memtest with bootable media. And i bought new Ram to test. And still is a issue with now all different symptoms. Happens when playing games or even just listening to music. My temps never go above 40 degrees with the cpu nor the gpu.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say it's a graphics card issue but I don't think that would explain the full system crashes. Generally when a GPU crashes or is overloaded the screen will go black for a few seconds and turn back on with no consequence to the system itsself. I had something similar to this a while back, but my issue was a RAM stick that was acting weird and the system worked fine after taking it out, and you said you've tried each RAM stick in each slot so that doesn't make much sense. Try booting with only the SSD and see if that helps at all.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I replaced the RAM with new compatible ram and I did not have an issue for a little while. Now it is doing the same thing. Sometimes with different symptoms: -freeze with a buzzing sound - freeze, black screen and/or no signal then restart - Or no restart and I have to manually restart - sometimes with that usb connection sound that I hear when I install new graphics drivers No issues with drivers in the event logs. And i've done clean installs of drivers, rolled them back. Can't test it with a different graphics card or without one. So i don't know what else to do.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

This might sound weird but try booting the system with only the disk your OS is installed on. I think it might be some weird communication issue between your SSD and your HDD when running certain applications that utilize both disks. I had a similar problem with the same crash symptoms (buzzing and all) and the problem was that I was running multiple HDDs that either weren't properly configured or just weren't compatible with each other at all, causing data corruption that would crash the system.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that it's not your graphics card. While bad GPUs do (obviously) cause the screen to go black they don't generally throw all these other symptoms. Don't go out and replace your GPU unless you've tried absolutely everything else.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I say it's graphics card, since it is a problem with your screen going black. I'm currently having the same problem where my screen goes to a random color when playing any game. Try sending your graphics card back, that's all I can think of.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say the graphics card if ram has been eliminated. In pubg, on my refurbished 660, it will lock up my entire computer and crash (Luckily, SLI, and I rearranged my cards :)).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube