add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I overclock my monitor?

Tfarcraw_III
  • 29 months ago

I got an EVGA SC17 1070 17.3" 4K Gaming Laptop a few days ago (during the 50% sale). I got the G-Sync version. As far as I can tell, the screen is locked at a 60Hz refresh rate. I don't see the point of making the laptop G-Sync if the built in display is locked at 60Hz, otherwise why not just use V-Sync? Anyway, I've contacted EVGA support (and not heard back) asking if I can overclock the monitor. So essentially, my two questions to people who may know this laptop are:

• Can I overclock the monitor?

• The laptop is advertised as G-Sync. Is that referring to the built in display, or must I connect an external G-Sync capable monitor through a mini display port (not the HDMI, of course).

Thanks for any and all help.

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

G-Sync is basically an adaptive sync feature for the display. Even with 60 fps, it is is still better than V-Sync. To clarify, when your laptop drops frames due to intense moments which will happen at 4K, your frame rate will invariably drop below 60. G-Sync will adjust the display's refresh rate to match the output of your GPU which basically smoothens out what you see and removes what would basically be perceived as stuttering with V-Sync who needs to display a constant 60fps.

As for overclocking the display, you can try but if you have a 1070 for a 4K display, its not really going to give you any significant benefits.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I didn't realize that's how G-Sync works. That clears things up a good deal. Thanks.

I was going to OC the monitor and drop down the resolution to 1080p for certain games that don't utilize 4K. I still play a bunch of games from the early to mid 2000s that don't have a 4k resolution option. Maybe it's not really worth it though.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

1080p can be uscaled to 4K and since its a perfect 2:1 ratio it might be less demanding but it definitely wont look as good though.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it won't look as good as 4k, but I play Halo CE from time to time with some friends. I think the max resolution for Halo CE is 1600x900, so if I lower from 4k to 1080p, it shouldn't make too much of a difference, right?

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

Itll still work for sure yes.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have a question, why do gaming laptops have g-sync if the monitor part is 60hz? If its aimed at gamers, it should be a guaranteed 60 fps @1080p in any game

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know, but I think 60 FPS at 1080p on high settings is difficult to do at all times in all games (especially for laptops). Mine has a 4k display, so I'm certain there will games in which I average a good bit below 60 FPS if I turn all settings up.

My main concern over this was the fact that I paid an extra $100 for G-Sync, believing that the monitor would have a high refresh rate. The better performance/appearance from G-Sync at 60Hz isn't worth $100 to me, but oh well. I did get it for 50% off...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube