add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noctua NH-D15

Limits
  • 29 months ago

Hi,

So I made a post a few days back about a failing H100I V2 that I was having. I posted a similar post to Corsair's forums and apparently I need to RMA it. As I need to wait a while since it is the holiday season, I am thinking of buying an air cooler. I heard great things about the D15 as it trades blows if not better than a 240mm rad AIO.

Question is, do you think it will fit in my current PC? I checked the website and checked others with similar build to mine and it looks fine. But I want to double check.

My build is: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Limits/saved/HbgwP6

I heard I can move the fans up to make room for my Vengeance LED RAM which is on the tall side. I believe my Fractal Define R5 have room for the increased height. I also believe my X99A-II mobo allows the first PCI-E slot to be unblocked by the D15 as I checked similar builds in PCpartpicker (please advise if the D15 will block the first PCI-E slot).

Thanks

Limits

Comments

• 29 months ago
  • 5 points

Yup it will fit on the board as per Noctua's compatibility guide with no issues (will highlight if the first slot is blocked): https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/?tab=comp#socket_2769_manuf_30

Similarly will fit in the define R5.

In terms of cooling performance, yes its an absolute monster and will perform similar or better in terms of temps the the H100i and will be quieter, win win on performance really. Secondary benefit is your socket area will get some active airflow from the cooler.

In all its a great cooler. There are some others like Scythe Fuma or Dark Rock pro 3, but the NH-DH 15 is very good regardless.

• 29 months ago
  • 2 points

We have a very similar build (same processor, mobo, and case). I ended up going with the Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 (which is discontinued, and unfortunately more expensive since I bought it in Feb 2017) - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/H3xfrH/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14se2011 (I bought it for about $80, now it is about $120 USD).

The specs of these two coolers are:

Noctua NH-D15 H=165 x W=150 x D=161mm, Base Height = 43mm

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 H=160 W=140 D=158mm, Base Height = 44mm

I was aware that the Noctua compatibility guide shows the D15 will fit (https://noctua.at/en/products/cpu-cooler-retail/nh-d15/comp#socket_2769_manuf_30), but I decided to play it safe and I chose the D14SE2011, because the width was smaller (by 10mm).

It does not touch the GPU card. The steel clips that hold the fan on the heat sink is the only thing that comes close to touching the GPU card (I chose a GPU with a back plate - MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X).

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

My GTX 1070 (Asus GTX1070 OC) also has a back plate and this is what got me worried. Since you have the D14, do you think a D15 will scrape the back plate of my graphics card?

As for TIM, I have a two year old Arctic MX4 but I understand that the D15 also includes tube of TIM from Noctua. Do you recommend using the included thermal paste? I see you have an Arctic MX-2 in your build list so I wanted to know is there a meaning behind that (unless the D14 does not include TIM).

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 came with a small tube of Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. I ordered the Arctic MX-2 at the time of the build because I wasn't sure if the cooler came with thermal paste or not. Honestly, use whatever paste you are comfortable with - if I were to do it again I'd probably go with the Arctic MX-5. I don't have any issues with the MX2, but I also don't overclock to often.

[comment deleted]
  • 29 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks close, I am worried now. Those things mounting the fans to the heat sink also seem to bring the distance even closer.

But builds like this https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zvzMnQ shows a graphics card with a back plate and a D15 using the Asus X99A-II. I guess it should be fine.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a tight fit in those photos (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zvzMnQ). It's hard to tell what they did to avoid the fan steel clip holders from sticking out, but it does fit!

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

D15's have a great rep ofc but, assuming it fits, I'd get a scythe fuma instead, similar design and cooling performance but very nearly half the price -

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

The performance looks good, but how does the noise compare with the D15? I hear they are about the same but want to double check.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

IIRC it's a little louder but I don't really remember tbh, there's a bunch of reviews out there tho.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Update: I got the NH-D15 two days ago and installed it that same day. So I will post some of the answers here that I asked.

The cooler does not block the first PCI-E slot of my motherboard. Not only that, it does not touch my GPU even though it has a back plate. :) Although it comes quite close though.

It clears my RAM well because the D15 allows you to mount your fans higher which I heard prior to buying the cooler. Although your case must be able to take into account the increased height of the cooler. In my case, it fits just right. When I place the side panel back on, I can see the edge of the fans come really close to the window of the case. It is so close that it is probably a hair of a distance and it will touch my side panel window. :)

• 29 months ago
  • 0 points

I checked with the compatibility filter, and it doesn’t seem to work.

• 29 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I checked the site and they did not highlight any incompatabilities.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube