add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rendering PC & household NAS

LostElement
  • 28 months ago

Below are two seperate builds I am contemplating on building. One is dedicate to multi-core rendering, the other is to be used as a NAS that will be connected to a network (For the whole household to use.) This is my current build. It's perfectly suited most 3D modeling work, but will struggle when it comes to rendering. Starting off, rendering is pretty quick. Using all four cores and eight threads, but as the work becomes more and more complicated (I work with a lot of polygons) and I add in more shading, using Mental Ray, and all that, it starts to take a while.

So, I want to build a PC dedicated to rendering. I don't want to sacrifice the single core speeds too much, because that's useful for both live renders and gaming. (I game A LOT). So here is the rendering build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/LostElement/saved/qmzCyc

Next thing I want to build is a NAS for the whole household (And myself), so I would need to setup a network for all PCs to access (Need to do some research on that). As far as I am aware, a typical NAS doesn't need a fast CPU. Just something. I don't really know a proper way to build a NAS list, so if I could have some pointers, that's be appreciated. Starting off with a 4tb HDD should be enough for now. (I have about 3.5tb of storage in my current PC). Here's the NAS: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cpvk4C

I figured I'd go with a 620 watt PSU. It's gold and fully modular. The PSU itself isn't bad, either. Since most of the power will probably go to storage, I figured I didn't need something as good as a CXM. Just needed something that's good enough and provides enough wattage.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. Cheers!

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

For that sort of money you could get a ready build 2 Bay Synology DS216J NAS, Pre-tested & configured in RAID1 Mirror

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

To my knowledge, RAID only increases the likelihood of drive failure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube