add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
LostElement
  • 28 months ago

It ALWAYS gives me the hardest time ever, and I have a hard time understanding it. Hardware is easy.

Anyhow, I figured it was going to be simple. Reinstalling my OS into my newly bought SSD. But, no, it wasn't detected in the BIOS boot order, but was detected in general. I installed windows 10 on it. It seemed like it was fine... then I restarted the PC, with the HDD disconnected, and it goes straight to the BIOS. Like the OS wasn't even installed in the first place.

So, I decided to say "To hell with this, I'll figure it out later" and just go back to booting to my HDD. But an error popped and said it was missing a system32 folder. facepalm... I went ahead and disconnected all the drives, reinstalled windows, and tried booting into just the SSD. Well, it threw me back into the BIOS. I was getting pretty irritated. I plugged in all the drives and restarted the PC...

...and it boots into the SSD with no issues.

I don't understand software. It is never cooperative with me. Ever. It was a pain to constantly disconnect and reconnect the SATA cables because since it's a MicroATX mini tower, cabling gets really cramped. Especially when you have 3 HDDs, an SSD, an external power connector for the GPU, a Semi-Modular PSU...

But it was worth the headache. SSDs are amazing. I never really used one much. I installed them for other systems (WITHOUT A HITCH) but only really used them briefly. But, since it's now finally on my own PC, I can really appreciate it. I just care about the boot times. Don't really care for game load times.

I am rambling. How many of you had your battles with software, or hardware if it's the opposite for you? I sure as hell know that I don't want to mess with another SATA SSD for a while... maybe M.2 will be easier.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

I guess, somehow Windows got installed mostly on your SSD, but certain things (e.g. swap partition) got allocated on a separate physical drive. You might not have disconnected everything properly or did not do a clean install, rather just installed Windows on a previous installation (without formatting).

it's a MicroATX mini tower, cabling gets really cramped. Especially when you have 3 HDDs, an SSD, an external power connector for the GPU, a Semi-Modular PSU...

That's why I have a fully modular PSU for my similar setup (1 SSD, 3 HDDs) and a proper tower, not a small one. :D

I just care about the boot times. Don't really care for game load times.

It's the other way around for me. I rather have Windows load for 30 seconds. Even a whole minute, but I want my games to load, save quickly. I hate when a game loads for minutes. I have some of those, lol (e.g.: Silent Hunter 5). :D Or even in World of Tanks, I got connected to the game sometimes when the battle already started while loading from an HDD. So for me, my (120 GB) SSD is better employed for such games, than for the OS that I start up usually once or maybe twice a day.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Modded MC always crashed on my Thinkpad after I installed 172 updates that I'd been ignoring simce 2014.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

After originally installing my OS onto my HDD (old salvaged HDD) I kept having 100% disk usage and couldn't explain why. I noticed that it was coming from the "Unistack Service Group" service running in the background. I tried and tried to get it to work. I removed Unistack and every folder/file associated with it. Was able to solve the symptoms, but only temporarily. It would come back every time I would reboot (even after modifying registry). So eventually I said "screw it" and reinstalled the OS. Solved the problem, but not before numerous annoyed hours.

• 28 months ago
  • 0 points

Here is your good news......When you do finally get your system running exactly as you want. Software, hardware, installs, file locations, etc...................

MAKE A OS BACK UP

Get good backup software. This will save you so much time, frustration, and energy. You will have more time to enjoy your computer.

You can restore a fooked up system with good backup software in 5-10 mins in general.

Now, when installing something new, if I dont like it, i restore my system faster than installing that unwanted software :)

You can test crap out knowing you get your system back like it was.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube