add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Kaby Lake Celeron 3930 or AM4 Athlon X4 950?

LostElement
  • 28 months ago

Both of which would be suitable, but what is the better value processor. The Celeron is cheaper but features only two cores and the Athlon X4 has four cores. (I know there's architectural differences, but it may be relevant at this price point. ) The X4 can OC, but the Celeron cannot. The Celeron is cheaper and has superior single core speeds, but is now on a dying socket. (LGA 1151 Skylake to Kaby Lake), but the Athlon is on the AM4 socket, which is going to be supported until 2020.

Tasks being done:

Mostly web browsing, netflix and youtube. Most intensive game played, at the moment, is Sims 4.

I don't know which CPU to go for, honestly.

Comments

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you need an iGPU or are you using a video card?

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Both have an iGPU, but I have a GTX 750 TI that I am going to use.

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

The Athlon X4 950 does not have an iGPU. Only the A-series A6, A8, A10 and A12 models do. Some people forget that, and then RMA the CPU because they think it's "defective". Same with the older 750K, 860K, etc...

For less intense games, the Athlon X4 950 will do fine. For AAA titles I wouldn't expect more than 40 FPS. Playable, but nothing to write home about.

I have seen the benchmarks for the Celeron G3930, and I wouldn't want it even for e-sports titles. It gets bogged down very easily.

If you get the Athlon X4 950 and want to overclock, I believe only the ASUS prime B350 boards allow that. There is no "K" after the model number so it's not officially touted for overclocking.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Could've sworn it did. Oh well, I have a GTX 750 TI for it.

So, which one? 3930 or X4 950?

• 28 months ago
  • 2 points

Personally I would get the Athlon X4 950 over the Celeron G3930. Plus, you have the upgrade path to Ryzen. Or you could get the A8-9600 and have the iGPU as a backup option. It's only $8 more than the Athlon X4 950. So something to think about.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the GPU itself is 3 years old. Although it’s still running strong, it’s probably best to have an iGPU as backup. The R7 iGPU isn’t too shabby for an iGPU.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd go with the athlon, since AMD B350 motherboards are the same price as intel B250, and you can overclock the Athlon and squeeze out a bit more power (you may want an aftermarket CPU cooler for that though.)

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Either will work fine for those purposes when paired with the 750Ti.

I think that if it were me, I'd find the 950 to be the better performer for the way I use a computer, (lots of tabs, videos, and editing all going on at once, sometimes gaming in a VM...) Despite the 950's older architecture, the quad-threaded nature combined with better clock speeds gives it more total execution power than the Celeron, which, for me, would be the winner.

My wife has what is basically the same sort of setup on her machine... an A10-7850K, that I tossed a discrete GPU into (HD7870). The combo handles general "webstuffs" with lots of tabs going on just fine.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

It's AM4, meaning it supports DDR4 memory.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 28 months ago
  • 1 point

its is newer (which means it can support ddr4)

Both LGA 1151 and AM4 platforms, and both the Celeron G3930 and Athlon X4 950 support DDR4. I don't see your point.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

He was likely thinking of the older Athlons.

• 28 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube