add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Issue, I think. Help?

Kazru88
  • 32 months ago

Hello all,

I've had a running issue with my computer for a few months. I've managed to baby it, but frustration is mounting. I left my computer on one night as I usually do, when I woke up it was off. Didn't think much of it. When I powered it on, it turned on but the monitor never came on, keyboard and mouse didn't light up. Also my GPU fans were doing a little spin back and forth about 1/4'' every 5-10 seconds, giving off a noise like a...wobble noise, I'm not sure how to describe it. It wouldn't spin up full. CPU cooler fans and system fans come on full.

I checked over the connections and everything was in place. I held the power button down for a hard power down, the reset button wasn't doing anything. When I powered it back on, the power button light didn't come on but the GPU continued to do what it was doing previously and the other fans still powered up. Motherboard lights and post codes all lighting up as well as normal.

I shut it back down, turned off the power supply and unplugged the power cable from the power supply. The only devices I have are a USB mouse / keyboard, HDMI to the monitor and headset. I unplugged everything. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, come back and plugged everything in, it powers up fine. Later that night, I shut it down and the next day...same problem. Only this time when I tried to unplug everything and let it rest, it didn't work. I read it could be a USB peripheral issue so I unplugged those, repeated the power disperse process and started it WITHOUT the peripherals plugged in. It worked, plugged in mouse and keyboard, they worked. Back to normal but I knew this wasn't going away.

It's never consistent. Sometimes the power button lights up, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes when I let it sit the mouse only goes off, the system is froze up, upon reset it doesn't come on properly again. Sometimes it's the keyboard that is off. Sometimes it shuts down and powers on fine. Sometimes unplugging everything and waiting doesn't work several times over. So far I have re-seated my RAM, tried powering it up with only 1 RAM stick (each stick on its own too), all the unplugged / plugging, checked for grounding issues, updated the BIOS multiple times, CMOS battery removal and every other basic troubleshooting thing I could research first.

I am thinking about just replacing the motherboard and seeing if it solves my woes, I'm just not sure if that's where to start or if I should go with the power supply. MSI motherboard is out of warranty, not sure about the Corsair PSU. Computer is only about a year and a half old, started about 9 months in its life, self built as well.

Sorry for the length of the post, trying to detail months of this and that to figure this thing out. I appreciate any help and guidance in advance.

Thanks everybody! -Kaz

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

From your post it sounds like it could be a few things.

PSU Motherboard USB device

I'd start with picking up a PSU tester. Something like this should work just fine. If everything is within a few mV your PSU should be fine.

If the PSU is fine the motherboard is most likely the problem, but as it's a pain in the *** to swap out I'd test other usb devices first. If you have access to another kbm. Then move on to swapping out your motherboard.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

aludka,

Appreciate the response!

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

yw

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube