add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
LostElement
  • 30 months ago

So, recently, I received an old, but neat, CoolerMaster Case. I couldn't decide what to do intially, then I thought I would just make this thing look good without really considering performance. I plan to spend around 100$ on each part, with the exception of the GPU and CPU. 200$ maximum for the CPU and ~170$ for the GPU. No, I will not go over this amount.

This PC build is about fun and aesthetics, not value. Am I willing to pay this much for it? Hell yes.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $209.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Liquid Freezer 240 74.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $86.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair - Dominator Platinum 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $117.60 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $92.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card $164.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand RGB 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan $24.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan $24.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro LED Red 75.0 CFM 120mm Fan $27.25 @ Amazon
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM 120mm Fan $29.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB120 (3-pack) 61.4 CFM 120mm Fans $76.55 @ Newegg
Fan Controller Aerocool - Touch 2100 Fan Controller $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1640.74
Mail-in rebates -$45.00
Total $1595.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-26 02:33 EDT-0400
Part Reason
CPU I chose the 1600 because I wanted to get a processor that was at least better than the one I have in my current system, the I5-7500. I do 3D modeling and animation, so the six cores will be nice.
CPU Cooler Chose this cooler because it's an excellent performer whilst being very cheap. I will be replacing the pull fans with the NZXT RGB fans, and the push fans to the Corsair ML120s. Mostly for aesthetics.
Motherboard This is one of the best looking motherboards I've seen for the B350 boards. RGBs, nice carbon-esque theme, solid professional reviews.
RAM Why do I have two sets of 8gb kits? Because I can't afford to fork out 200$ at once. I am only investing around 100$ per part with the exception of the CPU and GPU. I always wanted to get Dominator Platinums. Might as well slap them in this build.
SSDs I chose an NVME SSD because I intend to install some Autodesk programs and Adobe Photoshop, so I want those programs to open near instantly and open large files quickly. The MX300 will have some games in it that take a long time to load, like Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program, and Fallout 4.
HDD 9 TBs worth of HDD to store all of my projects. These are the newer HDDs, so their reliability should be a lot better than the older models.
GPU I chose a more expensive 1050 TI because... well... it looks cool. I like EVGA GPUs, this one looks the best out of all the 1050 TIs. Runs at a higher core clock and hopefully the one I get is a good overclocker. I could save a little more, and get the 200$ GTX 1060 3gb, but honestly, that card doesn't look that good. So, I won't be getting it.
Power Supply Is this the best performing PSU? No. Is it a bad PSU? Nope. According to JonnuGuru.com this unit isn't bad. It looks really damn good. I was very close to getting the G3 SuperNOVA, but the RGB fan would be better for the whole "looking awesome" theme I want this thing to have.
Case Fans The Two NZXT RGB fans and the two non-LED Corsair ML120s are for the AIO. The three red LED fans, which I may replace it with RGB fans, are the normal case fans. The case supports one fan in the front, side, bottom, and back, but I have to look at the bottom one again and see if it's a 120mm.
Fan Controller My case has two 5.25" drive bays, so I figured to add to the awesomeness to the build, I'll slap in a cool looking fan controlling.
Other I will probably get thermal paste because... why not? I also want to get USB Mic. I have considering a sound card, but none of them look cool enough while not being over 50$. What other awesome things should I add to this build..?

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 30 months ago
  • 1 point

If I wanted a performance PC, then I'd simply wait for my financial grant money and build my 4,000$ PC. I specifically stated that this was for fun, and to me, this isn't a waste.

For the RAM, one, Ripjaws look like crap. And, I can't straight up get a 2x8gb kit.

I can't fork out that much money at once to buy a 1060

I don't want an air cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube