add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Limits
  • 30 months ago

Hi,

I recently got two new monitors and I noticed that one of the monitor have two small blur like dot packed together near the left corner. It definitely does not look like dead pixels but rather a smudge inside the screen.

Here is a picture I found online that is similar to what I see. https://imgur.com/9Th2wgw

Tried the massaging trick, did not work. Is there any advice to get it to fix?

Thanks.

*edit. Did more testing. And guess what, more smudges depending what angle you view the monitor from. Two quite large smudges right at the center if you look at the screen from a wide angle. Problem is, now that I know its there, I think I can see it even without looking at it wide angle. (as a faint tint). It resembles someone's fingerprints yet there are none as the monitor is brand new and I have not (will not) touch the panel with my fingers. Wiping does not work as it is inside screen.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

How recently? Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for RMA?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Before I RMA, a question...

I heard from somewhere online that some people can extract what your monitor once displayed. Is there something I should do to my monitor before I RMA? lol

• 30 months ago
  • 2 points

Technically speaking.... if we were talking about a "smart" display (like a modern TV), it is possible for malicious software to "record" things that are on the screen to non-volatile memory and/or forward these images to the internet (wifi on almost all modern TVs)...

Yes, there is a real security concern with modern smart TV's. I do not advise using a smart TV's built in web browsing capabilities as this could exacerbate this threat.

For traditional "dummy" monitors, when power is removed, any buffered video data is lost.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly the reason why I do not use smart TVs at all. haha

Well I do have one, but it was because it was given to me for free. I do NOT use it for anything serious except for gaming and watching videos. And my reason was I don't want to be snooped (out "smarted") by a Smart TV. :p

Yes I do not believe data can be read once powered down until I researched today and got freaked out. People reasoned that even broken hard drive can have their data "retrieved" by some smart guys. So what's stopping them from reading any non-volatile images stored by reading left-over electronic signals lingering in the monitor. O__O

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

uhuhuhuh What? NO, that's not possible.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube