add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Requesting opinion on a system comparison

romanvalkre
  • 33 months ago

I have been asked to build a system for my brother in law for x-mas, that will let his son game as well as he does on the current family main system (dad wants to have some computer time). Thus far I have https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vJLg6X. It is going up against a i7 860 with a GTX 960 (4GB), with 8GB of ram. Will the above build game (I think they said "rocket league) ok?

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Use userbenchmark.com for comparison. Use the build tab to compare, the FPS to see what you can play, and the other tabs to compare parts to parts. Also the 1200 with a little overclocking is the same as the 1300x and you save $20. Use your 960 is is better than the 1050 ti.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I already had the GPU, and its so close, hard to justify dropping another 220 (ish) for a 1060 (3GB). Its the CPU and PSU that has me thinking. In years past low to mid range gaming was a no brainer get an i3. Now not so sure. I don't want to do any overclocking as I will not be supporting this rig once it leaves my hands, that said, if my BiL wants to get into it, he is welcome.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 33 months ago
  • 1 point

The budget is not hard set, less is better. My question boils down to is the performance requirement being met in your opinion? I know that's a kind of subjective thing, so I would like to get a few opinions other than my own.

The issue I am going to run into, is if this second rig, is lots better than the other one, we are right back to the same issue. The family needs two systems that are about equal. I can't afford to build them two. So I need to come close to the one they have that works "great" in their estimation (not going to question it).

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

As soon as he said the "good" system ran an 8XX i7 I knew matching it without crushing it would be sorta hard. That and the mining craze pushed GPU's that beat that 960 hands down, way up in price:(.

Only things I know about it for sure are the CPU, and GPU (they are very far away, and not technical).

That said, my preferred solution to this would be build 2 Ryzen 5 1600x rigs both with 1060's. Or wait a bit and see what the next Intel release does to the gaming market. I don't really have that kind of time or money sadly.

Sites like user benchmark say I am fairly close, the CPU is a little better, and the GPU a little worse, but was hoping for a few folks to express their thoughts as well. That said, I have seen so many folks say don't just trust benchmarks... so I asked. Thank you for your time on this.

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree. I built my first build in May with a Ryzen 1700. It is clocked at 3.0. Without even changing the voltage I got it up to 3.7 using the stock cooler (at 55c under load), without having much know how of what I was doing. Then I got a Hyper 212 Evo ($20 air cooler) and got it up 4.076 (at 65c under load).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube