add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I just can't stop...

LostElement
  • 30 months ago

Monthes ago, I compiled a parts list for myself. Pretty much my very first list. I dubbed it "Atlas" and it would be my own personal PC.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TcJx2R This is what I came up with. I didn't have a real job at the time, so it would all be based on the money I saved. I had an old APU build a while back but that was a prebuilt. Anyhow, that was the first PC I was going to make.

Then I found out how much grant money I would get from Financial aid, and how that money could help me build a PC that would be great for content creation, primarily 3D modeling. So, I made this. Before Ryzen, mind you. Monthes before Ryzen, actually.

Then... Ryzen came out. So, I re-arranged my build to this. Now, this had to be it. I wouldn't need Threadripper. 16 cores and 32 threads sounds great, but that's probably 2000$... So.... The 1950x came out. 1000$, and had the gaming performance of Ryzen 7 all while crushing and rendering workloads. So, I made the list centered around Threadripper... but I couldn't just stop there, could I? I had to go crazy...

This parts list is the latest version of Atlas... I just can't stop. I've never even considering a full custom water loop until now! I think I need help...

How many of you guys have had situations like this? Where you just couldn't stop?

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 3 points

Can definitely confirm you shouldn't use Financial Aid to get a rig like that. I mean, let's be honest, unless you're banking with it, do you really need it? No undergraduate courses would require a rig like that, and frankly neither would any postgraduate. Most if not all the work could be done on a "standard" laptop (albeit slowly), and if you wanted a little more oomph you could build a much, much cheaper Ryzen rig, and then set the money aside for things you would actually need later or use the money to pay back any future loans.

Anyways, now that that's out of the way, I went from an i3 to a 4790k when I built mine. Same story with the GPU. Actually, it's the same story with guitars, amps, guns, pedals......maybe I have a problem....

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I plan to persue 3D arts professionally. The PC will just help me in class because in my High School class, I would go absolutely crazy on the projects. So much so, that the PC's ran the projects so slowly. Rendering was impossible as it exceeded the 8gb of RAM that the PC had. And the whole laptop thing, yeah, no. It was impossible to make anything cool on it. It is an I3-6100u, though, so I shouldn't expect much.

And I have no other use for the grant money considering my job covers all my other needs and all my initial classes and books are already paid for by the College. And it's grant money, meaning I don't have to pay it back. No student loans or anything like that.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I understood it was grant money, just consider any future loans and any uncertainties. But it's all good, it'll be a good pc.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Seeing as I made a parts list this April, then didn't update it until a week ago (started with an i5-7600k with a GTX 1070 and it's now a Ryzen 7 1700 with a GT 1030), I haven't had this problem.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

hey if you're in good state right now brah no money problems whatsoever then go for it. Like you said it is your career pathway. Just make sure to save some of that money for later. Just make sure you actually know how to build it. It's better to pay a guy 50 bucks then mess up parts that cost alot more than that.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I've built a PC before, but never a full custom water loop. I'd rather do it myself and experience it myself. If I make a mistake, then that's a learning experience, which is invaluable to me.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I had this situation where eventually I had to get everything top of the line. I'd be making a parts list for 10k, then dream a little, then go back to reality lol, then try to make it as cheap but well performing as possible. A water cooling loop is the best for cooling but it costs a good chunk, then you need to maintain it right?

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I take a lot of care of my current PC. It's just air cooled. I don't think I would have a problem maintaining a full water loop.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I think this affects us all lol.

I recall I started my journey end of 2014. Until then, I always used a laptop. I picked up a 3440 x 1440 ultra wide to increase productivity, but also had a game libary I built up over the years but rarely played. With my brother completing a build few weeks prior to me getting the monitor, and the laptop being a potato at driving the panel, figure I would start my own custom build.

3 years on totally different story! always tinkering and finding something to swap too. Holding my upgrade itch on X299 / 399 to see how they pan out now, sigh

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the same problem too, I'm trying to fit in an X34 and a gtx 1080 with an I7 housed in a phanteks enthoo evolve TG, and it comes over 2900, and I have to bring my computer down to 2500, but all the high end parts are too tempting to get, and I feel like I would be missing out if I didn't spend that much money.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the can't stop feeling. Read the title and beginning of the write up of my completed build, it might help you a little.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. If I was just a gamer, I would simply just upgrade my current rig from a 750 ti to a 1080ti and call it a day. ( Have an I5-7500 in my current rig, but rendering my projects is still stupidly slow)

Anyhow, yeah. Some people are just content with good enough. Me? Well, that 6500$ build ought to last me years and years considering there's not too much more performance we can squeeze out of these processors.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

This parts list is the latest verion of Atlas...

And you need 15 fans why? XD

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Even though you start seeing diminishing returns after 3 fans, I feel like I should add in 15 because the case could support that many xD

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah the whole "more is better" approach. I like.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube