add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New PC for my grandmother.

LostElement
  • 30 months ago

Currently, my grandmother is rocking some old core two duo. It gets web browsing done, but that's about it. I decided that I would save up and build her a new up-to-date system. Her old tower is really big and heavy, so she can't move it around. So, the form factor has to be MiniITX. It has to be small and silent while still packing some horsepower.

Budget is 450$ maximum.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor $38.99 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $29.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B250I PRO Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.98 @ Newegg
Memory Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $62.99 @ Amazon
Storage Kingston - SSDNow G2 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $73.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2GB 2GH LP OC Video Card $72.99 @ Amazon
Case Silverstone - Sugo SG13B Mini ITX Tower Case $39.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $26.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM 140mm Fan $19.79 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $465.60
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $435.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-23 20:16 EDT-0400

The Celeron should be just fine for her web browsing needs. The GPU is there for just in case because the HD 5xx iGPUs are atrocious.

Looking to save some money as much as I can.

Comments

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That's nice to give granny a treat. But does she need it?

It gets web browsing done, but that's about it.

Does she need anything else?

Her old tower is really big and heavy, so she can't move it around.

How often does she move the PC around?

The GPU is there for just in case because the HD 5xx iGPUs are atrocious.

Well, it might be bad for gaming, but not for web browsing. :)

Looking to save some money as much as I can.

So why make a new PC for her if she doesn't really need one?

If you want a PC at your grandmother house, that her children and grandchildren can use for more than just browsing, it's fine and thoughtful. But then build a PC that can run whatever the guests need, as for sure the old one can handle the browsing your grandma does from time to time -- unless that's the picture you've painted for us. ;)

Furthermore, since it's a budget build, I wouldn't spend extra on a case fan and aftermarket CPU cooler. You can save about $50.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

That's nice to give granny a treat. But does she need it?

She says she needs a new computer. It's about due anyway. it's very slow, even when clearing the hard drive and cleaning the PC out itself.

Does she need anything else?

She browses the web, watches netflix and youtube, and plays some facebook and browser games

How often does she move the PC around?

She hasn't move it around since she's got it. She really wants to move it around, but cant because there's so much cable clutter and the PC itself is pretty heavy.

Well, it might be bad for gaming, but not for web browsing. :)

Yeah, but sometimes her nieces and nephews come over and they like to play games on it. I know the lack of power of an HD 520 too well...

I wouldn't spend extra on a case fan and aftermarket CPU cooler.

Those are there for silence. I know personally that the stock Intel cooler is loud and annoying. The case fan because it pushes a lot of air and it utterly silent.

The old one can browse the web, but it noticeably struggles. It takes quite a while to get Chrome started up, or any other application for that matter. My grandmother says she needs a new one. She doesn't like the one she has right now.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

In this case, she will like this one a lot. ;)

Thanks for explaining your part pick decisions.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

What about something like this?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM56S0560

Super compact and thus extremely easy to move around, and depending on the exact model you get they can pack some decent power. That one has a dual core hyperthreaded Broadwell based CPU, which isn't bad at all. Pick up a pair of 4GB SODIMMs from some old laptop or something, an mSATA drive, and a copy of Windows and you should still be in budget with a decent little box to show for your efforts.

Alternately:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor $86.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $81.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $26.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $102.89 @ OutletPC
Total (before mail-in rebates) $531.82
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $491.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-23 21:50 EDT-0400

I'd skip the GPU; if you did want a dedicated GPU, I'd look more toward a GTX 1050 for $30 more. Significantly stronger card. Instead of putting the money into the GPU though, you could just get a CPU with better integrated graphics. Plus, stronger CPU is probably going to be more noticeable for her purposes anyway. I'd also get the 250GB EVO drive over essentially any other sub $100 drive.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

This system is overbudget. I can't go over 450$ considering I am already over budget.

I have the OS covered.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Without the OS it is in budget even before MIRs.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but it's still missing a silent aftermarket cooler, because the stock cooler is atrocious. And I don't want a 2.5" drive because I want to try and reduce cable clutter within the system.

The iGPU isn't great, either. Sometimes, my grandmother's nieces and nephew's come over and play games. (Sims 3 and 4 mostly).

The HD 630 will not hold up well.

• 30 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Celeron G3930 2.9GHz Dual-Core Processor $38.39 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-L9i 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler $39.15 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI - B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $81.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $89.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Silent Low Profile Video Card $69.99 @ Amazon
Total (before mail-in rebates) $479.36
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $449.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-23 22:41 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube