add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

All parts ordered. What would you rate my build?

LostElement
  • 31 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $115.49
Motherboard MSI - B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $90.50
Memory Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory Purchased For $121.99
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Case DIYPC - Cuboid-R MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased For $51.38
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $56.31
Mouse Logitech - G602 Wireless Optical Mouse Purchased For $39.99
Other 1600x900 Monitor Purchased
Other HP Optical Drive Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $475.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-10 02:07 EDT-0400

My goal for this PC was to be a gaming PC. I had to order these parts as money came in, none of this came all at once.

I went with Intel instead of Ryzen because Intel has an iGPU whereas Ryzen doesn't and I wasn't willing to wait to buy a discrete graphics card. The I5-7500 was a good option for me. I would've loved to get an I5-7600k, however my budget didn't allow it.

This motherboard is something I fell in love with the moment I laid eyes on it. I am a fan of MSI, and this motherboard looks damn good. Plenty of SATA ports, and has enough fan headers for me for now.

4x4gb kit of RAM. I found this on a 25% off deal. I won't need any more than 16gb of RAM, so I figured I might as well populate all of the DIMMs. It's only 2133Mhz. Is it possible to clock the RAM to 2400Mhz?

I bought this tower because it looks great, is cheap, and offers a lot. Windows, A 200mm fan with a 120mm fan, can accomodate any cooler, and supports ATX PSUs. It can also support a 240mm AIO if need be.

The CX450M was the obvious option. Even with a GTX 1060, there will be plenty of power left over. I'll get a GTX 1050 for now and use that as a temporary card. The CX450M is the best PSU for its price.

I plan on gaming a lot, and some 3D modeling and stuff. This CPU will do okay for that but it really shines in gaming. Games I intend on playing:

Software Inc, Witcher 3 (when I get the gpu), Fallout 4, Space Engineers, XCOM 2, Subnautica, Stellaris, SWTOR, STO, and Cities: Skylines. For AutoCAD, I will be using Mudbox, Maya, 3DS Max, and Inventor.

Anyhow, what would you rate it? I geared it towards performance but definitely kept aesthetics in mind. Once the GPU has been added in, I will be adding in fans, a wired mouse, mic, etc etc. All the peripherals.

Comments

• 31 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you managed a fairly balanced build. No need to get more than a 1050Ti now or until the price craze ends. It can cover you nicely at 900p. Enjoy your new rig.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I plan to have pictures and the build posted sometime this week. The RAM is coming in tomorrow, so I am stoked.

My old PC was a prebuilt, so it probably had an OEM Windows license, in which case I would need to use Windows Trial for a little bit, but this Windows key can be used on two or three other PCs apparently.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

You can OC your RAM to get it a little faster but you have to be sure to have good airflow between the RAM cards.

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the motherboard only supports 2400Mhz, so I OCing the RAM to 2400Mhz shouldn't cause heating issues, should it?

• 31 months ago
  • 1 point

The excess heat is because the RAM is running faster than its stock speed. I dont think the heat will be a issue after reading about your case some more. Your motherboard support us the 2400Mhz so anything faster than that will be pointless because the motherboard can not move faster the 2400 Mhz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube