add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

One of the WORST times to buy a GPU

LatamirDigital
  • 35 months ago

If the prices weren't bad enough, considering how long GPU's run while mining any used GPU's on Ebay (or anywhere) are probably faulty and are extremely overpriced. Most Fury X's are priced over $1K! Even the 1060's are skyrocketing in price. I may have to cancel my build guide video because the prices are so jacked (You can't even make a decent list between ($800-$2K).

Anyone else secretly hoping for the mines to crash or something just to watch the chaos unfold?

What are your thoughts on this mining craze.

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Most of these mines are in China near coal powerplants where the electricity is cheap - 0.05$. The other day i saw 12000 rx cards in China that mine EUT. with profits up to 1,5 mil. dollars a month. Even the left out R9 290s in the warehouses are sold out. I am not OK with the whole mining business and hope that will end soon like many other crazes..

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I am wonering why they don't use ASIC cards for Bitcoin, instead of stealing all the GPUs? That wouldn't solve the Ethereum problem, but it would help.

• 35 months ago
  • 3 points

Nobody is buying GPUs for bitcoin mining, it's all ether. GPU mining for bitcoin isn't profitable anymore, people get ASICs for that.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

The prices of the RX cards in China are a joke. They are buying them in large quantities and are abusing the market pretty hard. Nvidia cards are also an option, but a more costly one.

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

It's really unfortunate that it has affected consumers who just want to buy a GPU normally.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Indeed :(

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I also had to halt my build for this too D:

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. I don't like this. Like the stock markets in 2008, the banks in the Great Depression, the Nazis in WWII, and the Titanic in 1912, this mining craze will crash. Just when remains to be told.

And its nearly ONLY the affordable consumer GPUs affected, like GTX 1070s and 1060s, and nearly the entire Radeon line. Now, GTX 1080s can be found for cheaper than a GTX 1070.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

And its nearly ONLY the affordable consumer GPUs affected

That's the stupid part. Builders who don't have 3K to spend for a new computer are getting screwed over big time.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes! Like me, like everyone else I know who wants one!

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

It was an expression.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I remember going to a competition for 2 days with my parts list for my hoped PC pulled up on my laptop. Then, when I come home, BOOM! my parts list had shot up $150. The next day it dropped $500 and I couldn't figure it out until I realized there was no listing for my GTX 1070 on the list.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ouch. I feel your pain. I was gonna spend my birthday money on a new GPU, but one day my list skyrockets by $220, and just like you, the XFX RX580 went poof like the tooth fairy :D.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

My thoughts on this craze are this is really amusing to say the least, abunch of small start out miners versus literal server hall hardcore miners and multi-million mining operations. I will gladly state openly I hope the mining craze crashes and burns so people new to pc gaming can finally get some nice mid-range GPU's for 1080p and 1440p. Heck im still using a rx 560 for my fledgeling "office" pc.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

its dying already and prices are dropping

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Where and how? my builds are still over budget due to the GPU.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Euthereum dropped 20% yesterday, and so did most prices. Also there are still sellers that will sell at the price they always have, they are just out of stock, so you gotta be real quick.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I see what your saying, I had a build that exceeded my budget and now its just under what I have. Thanks :)

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

no problem, glhf

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

How much money can you really make mining etherium? Ive been watching this here recently and hate it. I bought my 1080 right before the prices shot up thankfully.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Rip :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube