add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

No display at all

LostElement
  • 33 months ago

Hello everyone, I've come across an annoying issue.

I have a five year old HP Pavilion which worked perfectly over the years and I decided to get a new PSU and case.

I put the motherboard in the case and the PSU. Now, everything turns on. LEDs on, fans spinning.

However, when I plug in a known-to-work VGA cable, the known-to-work monitor doesn't detect the VGA at all. My computer and monitor doesn't support HDMI.

The motherboard is the MSI MS-7778.

Comments

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

I might have to try the stand off thing.

But, when I press the power button, all fans rev up then slow down to a steady idle. Indicating that it posted, but the Monitor simply didn't detect it.

I don't have a GPU.

RAM isn't an issue since I haven't touched it.

Not going to reseat the CPU as I have no thermal paste on me

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

That's strange. It shouldn't have any issues with those part replacements. Maybe try taking it out of the case, making sure everything's plugged in properly, and try turning it on? If that works then simply put it back in the case, if it doesn't, you could try using the old PSU to test. What's the wattage of both PSUs?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

300 watt from HP. The PSU I have now is the Corsair CX450M, and I know that works because I tested it in another system.

I made sure I plugged in everything, but it's a weird motherboard, so there's not much information about it.

I am going to take it out of the case, and see if that works. If it does work, then I'll probably fiddle with the standoffs. If it doesn't... I dunno, maybe the mobo shorted out?

• 33 months ago
  • 1 point

Huh. Well, best of luck. I'm going to guess the things plug in funny. :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube