add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Light Gaming Laptop

Tfarcraw_III
  • 37 months ago

I need a new laptop. My current on weighs probably around 12 pounds and is just over 7 years old. It's so very slow. What I do like about it though, is that it has a 17.3-inch screen, fairly loud speakers, and 4 USB ports in addition to a VGA, HDMI, and Ethernet port.

So here we go:

US of A

Uses

• Schoolwork
  • Watching YouTube
  • Web Browsing
  • Light Gaming (I'm talkin' AOM on medium settings, 40 FPS)

Nice To Haves

• A big screen. My current Laptop is 17.3", and I like that.
  • A num pad. That may come with a large screen though.
  • Lightweight. My current one weighs in at around a million pounds.
  • Good sound. I like music. A lot.
  • Lots of USB ports. Thousands of them.
  • An Ethernet port. When my parents cut off the internet from my desktop (hardwired), I use my laptop as an access point type thing

Cost

Anywhere in the range of $650-$850 USD

If there are any peripherals/extra stuff I should get with the laptop include that as well. Allow another $50 for that.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

Out of budget, but still very interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znKAod257aE&t=2s

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That is very intersting. If only it were cheaper.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I love the specs on this for the pricepoint. It seems hard to beat in the area. I do have a bit of a concern about the actual physical quality of the laptop itself though. Thoughts on this?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Best build quality of any sub $1000 gaming laptop.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I thought he linked the 1050 variant, which does have solid build quality regardless.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, my parents aren't aware that I can give internet to my desktop through my laptop.

I'm definitely willing to go down. I just like the current size, but generally want to stay on the larger size, so nothing like 11".

Of those three, I guess I'd have to knock off the lightweight one. That's definitely second to screen size and ports.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I really should stop. But I just don't know if I can go 3 months with no internet. No internet for phone or PC. I don't think they even know my laptop still works, and that's why it has internet. They cut it off to raise my grades, which I've done, so I feel sorta okay with using the interent. But I totaly see where you're coming from. And they probably do know - my Mother is a software engineer with a CompSci degree from Georgia Tech so...

Thank you for the laptop suggestions! I think I may go with the Acer depensing on how easy adding storage would be. I like having more storage available, even if I won't use it. I really like that you were able to find these laptops with numpads, ethernet ports, and multiple USB ports within budget. Thanks again!

And do you know of any good PC speakers? They don't have to be portable. I have about 30GB of music saved on my current laptop, and I'd like to be able to listen to it with good quality. Or do you think the built in speakers will be good enough?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Alrighty, thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube