add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Motherboard Drivers

Limits
  • 41 months ago

Hi,

A few months back, I built my first ever PC around the Asus X99 A-II motherboard. All is working correctly.

Then recently, I discovered that after building a PC and installing Windows, it is recommended to install the Motherboard drivers via either the included disk or from the website.

I did not do this step.

What I did was build the PC, install windows, install GPU drivers via Nvidia website, install wi-fi card drivers via disk.

Everything works. Of course since day 1, I noticed that there are some unknown devices showing up in device manager (probably since they are from not having the mobo drivers installed).

Is it ok to continue without installing the mobo drivers? If not, will installing the mobo drivers now affect system stability especially since I have already installed other programs and have already used the PC for some time? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Installing mobo drivers is the general practice.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I figured that out but not on the moment when I finished building and installed Windows.

So about my question, will installing the mobo drivers now affect system stability as I already installed programs and have already used the PC?

If no, then an additional question. Should I install via the included disc or via website?

Thanks in advance.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Website.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

If everything works as it should, dont worry abvout it.

Normally, we recommend doing so as it avoids some compatibility issues on hardware level (mostly RAM and XMP).

The one thing I do recommend installting is the audio drivers unless you have a dedicated sound card

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for the notification.

I might choose to install it when I find time. But will doing this cause instability? I would like to add in that I did install the aura lighting software for the motherboard already but just not the motherboard drivers.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

The X99-A II motherboard was released a few months ago and its pretty recent so you shouldn't need to update its BIOS if you are having no issues whatsoever. In fact, I would skip it.

Just be sure to install stuff you need like the audio drivers, the USB drivers, the sata drivers (if you have a raid array), the ethernet controller drivers and the intel chipset updates (if any are available).1

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for the follow up.

I forgot to mention, I did update my bios to the latest release right after I booted the pc for the first time. Then I installed Windows.

Its only the Motherboard drivers that I did not install. So now I am wondering should I install them? Would not installing drivers cause the motherboard to be used in such ways that it wasn't designed to be used? (eg what if (I am making this up) Asus included a driver for the motherboard such that it can use a function without overheating itself). Imagining these kinds of possibilities are the issues that always make me wonder should I really install the motherboard drivers before the motherboard actually gets damaged (if ever).

But on the contrary, stability is important. I am worried that installing motherboard drivers now after installing programs and using the PC for a few months will mess things up.

Thanks for the continued follow up. Highly appreciate it. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube