add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build - graphics card no longer gives image

K0M0D0
  • 39 months ago

HI there,

I'm new to building my own pc and all the stuff that comes with that, so I'm not quite sure how to find the problem.

My build is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/K0M0D0/saved/y9W3CJ

The problem is that the graphics card used to display correctly, but it would sometimes crash / freeze. This usually happened when I was just on desktop, not while in game. I ran the heaven benchmark software for about an hour without issues.

While I was trying to install the drivers and such to make it work correctly, suddenly my pc rebooted. Ever since, the graphics card refuses to show any image.

If I disconnect the graphics card and use the onboard gpu, I can boot into windows without issues. Using the GTX 1080 however, the screen just stays black.

Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreaciated!

EDIT: I just now put the old graphics card into my new system, and this one seems to work alright.

Could my new card be fried?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, your card could be fried but what seems interesting is your ongoing issues with the card..... Or video output. Are your PSU connections solid ?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a chance you've gotten a bad card, but I would try a few things first. 1-reseat the GPU 2-check the power connections. Both at the card and at the PSU. Make sure the connections are secured properly. Since your PSU is modular try a different connection port on the the PSU. Look signs of shorting on the PSU end. I had a similar issue a few years back and it was because there was a short at the VGA connection port on the PSU. 3-install the GPU, but keep the video output using you motherboard. Install the GPU drivers. Shutdown and move the video output to the GPU.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube