add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random Crashing in Games, out of ideas.

Evil_Paroxysm
  • 42 months ago

System Specs:

4790k @ 4.4ghz (runs at about 36c while gaming)

16gb DDR3

MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (Updated drivers when problem began)

Samsung 850 Evo

The problem:

I play a lot of Rainbow Six Siege. I have never had any issues whatsoever. As of the last couple days I have gotten a few hard freezes, where fraps drops from 100 down to ~3fps and sound goes away completely. The game never crashes, just freezes there. It does this at random times, I have had it happen on main menu after booting it, and in the middle of games. Sometimes I can play 20+ games in a row and its fine, and then the next day it freezes in loading. Initial response was to reinstall, and this helped for maybe 2 days. Then the issue returned. ( I associated this with the most recent update which had come 2 days before, and I am still not certain this isn't the issue)

However

I cannot use these as a constant as I just got the game(s) for free but The Crew did the same thing to me after probably 20 minutes of play. Yet Deus Ex:Mankind Divided never froze and I played it for 6+ hours straight (This was the most graphically demanding of the 3 and I had my 1080 pegged the whole time)

So basically I want to think that my issues are patch related, however I have never had a game crash on me and The Crew crashing gave me doubts. Now I am wondering if it might be SSD related as that is where I store all my games.

I know it isn't a lot to go on but if anyone has some ideas I would appreciate it, and give them a try.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I have questions.

(Assuming you're running Windows) What does Reliability Monitor tell you?

Think back to when you first noticed the problem. Has anything changed since then (have you installed driver updates, Windows updates, a new application etc)?

Rollback your drivers to their previous version. You can probably get away with just the graphics and sound drivers. Does the problem go away?

You're overclocking your CPU. Have you returned it to stock speed to test?

Update all your drivers to the most recent versions, including firmware for your SSD (Samsung Magician allows you to do this).

What PSU do you have?

Have you run MemTest?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

The Crew just likes crashing, I was plagued with issues when I tried it.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

On everything?

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd have to look, I just updated it the other day with GeForce Experience.

I've had super outdated drivers for my sound card do screwy stuff before, that's why I asked on what you meant.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll do this when I get home, hopefully this helps.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

250gb and probably 200gb full

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt it's ssd related but on that topic how much actual space do you have left on the ssd. You don't actually get 250gb of storage space. You lose a chunk after it's formatted and you lose another chunk after you over provision it.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube