add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
r0cka

38 months ago

Got 6 websites between 7 and 15gb each and want to host them on my own server. One of the sites is a blog and the other 5 are drop shipping sites with blogs, each of them. The overall traffic across all these websites is 500-550k monthly with perspective to hit 1m next year.

My internet connection is optical with cables underground (99.92% uptime until now, starting from February 2016) with speed 1000mbps DL and 500mbps upload. Will use 4G for backup, just in case.

I have no electricity issues but have one old UPS for my gaming PC and I will use it for this server, just in case -it will provide 45-60min uptime without electricity.

Will use 3TB USB 3 external HDD for automatic daily backups + Cloud / Dropbox and will save up to 10 backups.

At the moment I am using cloud service from SiteGround and I feel the need of a dedicated server, however, the prices there start at 170 Euro/month (without the taxes).

Please give me suggestions, improvements, tips.

Case: Must have dust filters + to be small. I have 3 TT cases and I am more than pleased with them that's why I find this option good for me.

RAM: I prefer ECC for a server (not that there is a practical difference) but the site says that this MB isn't compatible with ECC ram, but MSI official websites say it supports DDR4 ECC. So? Where is the truth?

CPU: Could go with i5-6400 but XEON performs way better and has 8mb cache.

PSU: Could go with cheaper, but prefer great Tier1 PSU at least gold certified. Other Options maybe? I refer only to tested PSUs at TOMS HARDWARE.

SSD: Any better options here? I am using 2 of this 2nd or 3rd year on my Gaming PC and I have yet to see any issues and it runs 24/7. Maybe I can go with cheaper M.2, however, couldn't find cheap MB that has M.2, have integrated VGA, LGA1151 and supports ECC... Plus I have heard the M.2s are getting kinda hot and aren't as stable as the regular SSDs

Budget ~800$

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QWBM4C

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Only Xeons support ECC

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Not true. i3-6100 supports it as well.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Learn something new everyday I guess!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I too was surprised when I saw it the first time. :)

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The Pentium G4400 supports ECC as well.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, this is the complete list of CPUs on FCLGA1151 supporting ECC.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but what about the MB?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard looks all right to me, but your choice or RAM seems not to support ECC (neither listed on Corsair's website.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The RAM isnt ECC, I have put non-ECC because PC PartPicker says that there are issues with the motherboard and ECC ram.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see any complaints:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $214.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI C236M WORKSTATION Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $139.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $97.99 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $97.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.75 @ OutletPC
Case Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $56.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply FSP Group Hydro G 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $827.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-08 12:49 EST-0500
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I personally wouldn't host anything at home if anybody but your trusted friends know the address or ip. If someone were to ddos you you would be screwed.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I can protect against DDOS

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Massive companies like EA, Bethesda, Microsoft or even Steam can't even protect against DDOS.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Because they are massive. Huge targets are easy to hit.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube