add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Andyp297

38 months ago

Hey looking to upgrade my current set-up had it about two years now and just fancy upgrading it. Looking to spend about £700-£900. What would people recommend?

Current setup Graphics- Asus 4gb Geforce GTX 970 strix,,, MB- Asus Maximus Vii Ranger LGA1150,,, CPU- i7 4790K 4hz "Devils Canyon",,, MEM- Vengeance Pro Red 16gb DDR3-2133,,, SSD- 120gb Kingston HyperX Fury sata 3,,, HDD- 1tb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm,,, Cooling- Corsair Hydro H100i,,, Power- Corsair CS 750W Modular 80plus gold,,,

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The 4790K is still a beast... You could upgrade the graphics card if you're really going to take advantage of this.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I think, overall your build is very good though maybe with your budget, you could either get more storage, up your memory or maybe change your graphics if you really wanted to. This really depends on what you do with it, like what games you play or what hobbies you have but overall, theres my opinion.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

In one part I have to disagree with my pre-writers. (though pegotico already mentioned it correctly)

The GTX 970 ist still a good card. The GTX 970 and the GTX 1060 perform in the same range.

As long as you are using a 1080p 60Hz monitor, the GTX 970 is still perfectly fine (even for the next 2 years).

If however you got a 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 60 Hz Monitor, then you can think about getting a GTX 1070/1080.

In some cases the GTX 970 is even perfectly fine for a 144Hz monitor. For example Battlefield 1, 100-120 fps.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I am tempted to upgrade my monitors as they are 1080p 75hz. I'm not sure if it's my settings then as I'm only getting 30-60fps on ultra settings playing battlefield 4.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed, 1060 and 980 are on par.

[comment deleted]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

As mentioned by others only really storage and GPU would be a real worth while upgrade. If you fancy a change why not look at putting the money towards a new case and water-cooling setup to go with a new card?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The 970 is still a good card, but I would recommend upgrading. You said you have roughly 900£ to spend. So here's the parts list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage 500gb storage and it's fast Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £143.94 @ Aria PC
Video Card The mighty 1080, a much more powerful card. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card £638.99 @ Aria PC
Power Supply One of the best PSUs out there. EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £82.94 @ CCL Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £865.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-08 14:56 GMT+0000
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for the advice I'm gonna look at upgrading the gpu and ssd

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube