add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much RAM should I need?

LostElement

38 months ago

I think 16gb is enough, but I hear from other 3D modelers that 32gb is their recommendation. Would you guys agree with this? Because if so, I can just get 32gb of RAM.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

If you use a lot of heavy 3d modeling applications and other design applications then I would go with 32gb.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What modelling programs do you use? They all have "minimum" and "recommended" specifications, though it is sometimes hard to find. I would start there. Sometimes you pay less if you just start with the larger kit to begin with. You may also look into the effect of RAM timings on your program. Sometimes you can actually get a performance benefit out of faster timing/MHZ RAM, but not often.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I use three different Autodesk programs:

Inventor, 3DS Max, and Maya. I also use Photoshop when I am texturing.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

What kinds of 3D animations do you render? Are they high scale, SFX filled, millions of polygons worth of action? In that case, according to the above article, they are recommending 100GB of Memory.

If it's simple to medium projects, than 32GB at least should suffice.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Eventually I want to do professional work, so far it'll be for my classes and my own ambitious projects.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM is cheap, plenty of hot pricing on additional 16GB RAM. So it wont set you back big bucks

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube