add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Getting new internet line, looking for equipment recommendations

kazini
  • 42 months ago

So I may finally have approval to get my own internet line run to my apartment, just need to find out some good recommendations on routers/modems for my internet speeds and whatnot. So the fastest in my area is Time Warner Cable and the fastest speed they have in my part of the city is 50 down 5 up. Does anybody have any recommendations on reliable equipment that won't break the bank? I was thinking like an Arris surfboard modem and one of asus' Ac routers myself but wanted some input. For the record there will be 3 people gaming on it at any given time so anything that helps with concurrency might be taken into consideration as well.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

You now have charter spectrum correct? (buyout)

Charter provides a modem for free, you dont need to spend unnecessary money for a new modem.

Charter uses Arris modems at least in my area. The base speed is 100/5, not 50/5.

You would just need to get a router.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

No in my area it is solely time Warner cable which remain a subsidiary of charter but the modems aren't free they charge you 8 dollars a month for them on top of your charge for internet and the modems and routers they provide can't handle the concurrency of my household. Also in my area they don't offer their 100/5 plan only their 50/5 plan. Trust me it upsets me greatly that they won't just run the higher speed to my side of the city I live in.

Edit I've also noticed with their equipment that it has alot of times where the speed drops from 2 megabits to like 200 kb for seemingly no reason.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Everything will be standardize to "Charter Spectrum". Just has not happened every where. For Time Warner upgrade areas to 300/20, charter stopped that. Sucks for Time Warner customers

Only in Alabama or California, they are moving now to 300/20 due to new higher speeds by competition

It will all be one company in time.

https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/faqs/our-company/charter-twc-merger/twc-charter-merger-information.html

Call, tell them you want to move to the new Charter Spectrum. Dont get screwed on a modem charge.

But you have to call :)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

trust me when i say it'll be years before we have anything faster then 50/5 regardless of the merger or what have you. i live in the middle of nowhere in upstate NY, we don't have fios anywhere and their 100/5 is currently barely available anywhere within a 50 mile radius around me. my family literally cannot get service from any internet provider, TWC wanted to charge them 30000 to run the lines out where they live. but i'll keep it in mind none the less.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

further more any changes they make or roll out we will get last, guaranteed. we always do.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

this also doesn't help the fact that the modems that are provided by these companies can't handle the advertised speeds of what your paying for. (at least with twc) my landlord pays for 35D/5U and we actually only get like 2D/1U because their equipment is literal trash.

Spectrum may change this but even recently when my landlords had theirs replaced we still have the same issues.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I try to look at the bright side of life :)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

true, on this note i did see a spectrum van on the highway near my house today lol

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

also looking into the fine print, they only charge you for the router not the modem. Is there any reccomendations from you on that for say 50 down/ 5up speeds? i was thinking one of asus sub 100 dollar ones that will more than handle the speed and concurrency.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube