add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What should I overclock the 6600k to?

LostElement
  • 39 months ago

I have a 6600k and a have the Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. I want to know how much I should overclock the CPU, I primarily game, but I also use programs like Maya and Inventor often.

What's the best overclock for this?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

As far as it can go without instability, high temps, and not going over 1.45 volts.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Which would be what, exactly? 4.4 GHz? 4.5? 4.6?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't give you a exact answer. Every CPU is different. You should be able to hit 4.4 though. I personally hit 4.6ghz on 1.28 volts.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know. It varies CPU to CPU. It could be 5Ghz or 4.3Ghz.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Rest in pepperonis will_rippey

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

As high as possible.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Try 1.350v. Intel says that 1.5v (for Haswell) is the max, but the higher the voltage, the lower the lifespan of the CPU. There's an article about this guy showing pics of some company's internal documents about cpu lifespan and vcore. Going past 1.35v decreases the lifespan at an increasing rate. I forget the exact numbers, but from what I recall, keep it at 1.350v max. Then, pump up the frequnency to 4.7 and see if it'll pass a stress test for 10 minutes (AIDA64 and RealBench are the more reasonable testers). You'll hit a ceiling on frequency, so you downclock until it passes. Then run a 4-hour test and adjust accordingly over time (since the tester can't cover all possible scenarios).

Also keep average CPU temperature below 80C.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

for daily use i wouldn't go over 1.35V

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Every CPU is very different. You can see 6600k's safely getting up to 4.7-4.9 and some that can only get up to 4.4-4.5. It just depends. Clock it to whatever gets you around 1.4V.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

1.45V is safe. Intel recommends 1.4V at the highest and you can safely go a bit above that. Iirc the danger zone is around 1.5V so 1.45V is safe although that is the max I do would for 24/7 usage.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hiya, could you please give me a link where Intel says what the maximum recommended voltage of their CPU is? I know they did that for older CPUs (like this), but I haven't seen this for newer CPUs.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Datasheet, page 113

Operating voltage: 0.55 - 1.52 V

I guess that's what you were referring to.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube