add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power up and only loud fans

Limits
  • 41 months ago

Hi,

My old computer is having a problem. It is a prebuilt PC from Gateway. Here are the main spec.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4GB RAM Nvidia GTS450

**No overclocking

It has been a really reliable computer until recently. One day I powered it on as normal, and the only thing I get is really loud CPU fans and case fans. Nothing appears on the monitor. Even the LED on the power button doesn't light up. Only the regular green mobo light lights up.

I tried the following:

1: Power button holding 30 sec trick. 2: Took out the CMOS mobo battery for over 12 hours. (Also did power button trick in the process) 3: Took out all the drives and GPU and seated only one RAM stick in different slots 4: Tried a different RAM stick. 5: Took out the CPU and checked for bent pins (there were none) and reseated the CPU

Still the same. Press power button and immediately, the fans go to full speed with nothing displaying. (Even if I use onboard graphics).

I believe in this case it is the MOBO. But I want to know is it really the MOBO or could it be the CPU. How could I verify?

P.S. Some capacitors on my mobo have leaked (dried stuff are on top of them). BUT they are already like that years back and the PC was still really stable for years.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

The reason that the fans go so loud and stay that way is because the fan headers on the motherboard (cpu cooler included) default to full speed until the BIOS can initialize the correct fan curves. The BIOS isn't booting, so those fans can't initialize.

Now, the BIOS not booting points to either the mobo or the CPU being the problem. Unfortunately, testing which one is bad isn't a simple thing. Some motherboards have a default setting that if it tries to boot with no CPU installed, it will give a visual "cpu missing" warning via graphics. Since graphics aren't working, we can't be sure if that's a feature your motherboard ever offered in the first place...

If you happen to have another processor on hand that you can test with, then that would be great. But since that seems to be a pretty rare situation, I'm going to assume it's not an option.

One thing to consider is the rarity of a CPU failure. Generally, if a CPU fails it fails within the first 72 hours of use. It would fail because of a manufacturing defect, not because of old age. The only real times that they fail outside of early life are if they undergo a physical/electrical damage. Stuff like bent pins, physically smashing or breaking the cpu, or accidental overvoltages (there are protections in place that make it difficult to overvoltage).

Motherboards are far more likely to fail because there are just so many darned components in it. So many things have to work together for a motherboard to function correctly, and any failure of any small subsystem can lead to a bricked board.

I can't say for sure if it's one or the other, but I put my money on the motherboard.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I believe it is the motherboard too. Problem now is how to find a replacement motherboard for such an old system. And whether its even a wise investment on the long run. (I do have a new i7 build that I built less than a month ago, but for some reason, I just want to get my old Core 2 Quad up and running as my trusty backup as it has been too good for me to want to just leave it like that if possible :))

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Buying new parts is definitely not the way to go for something this old. Ebay and Craigslist are probably your best friends here.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube