add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Limits
  • 42 months ago

Hi all,

I am planning my first PC build. This computer will be mainly used for 3D graphics related work. I also plan to do game development on it (using something like Unreal Engine 4). With that said, it means that the build should also work well for gaming too. The most important thing for this build is stability.

Please feel free to recommend changes if it means the build will be better and more stable. I am trying to keep the cost below $3000 but am willing to shift the budget a bit if the reasoning persuades me.

I also have some questions to asks:

-So far I picked a motherboard without wifi as I cannot justify the increase in price to have it embedded onto the board. I heard that either using a usb wifi or add on PCI wifi card is cheaper (though the latter will use up some PCI lanes). I will need wifi capabilities so any input here would be appreciated.

-I currently selected a GTX1070 because I do not plan to go above 1440P due to program compatability issues. However, I was also planning on not getting any new GFX card and just reuse my old GTS450 since I may not be gaming too much anyways. This plan also allows me to wait for newer cards next year where there may be cheaper cards that can handle 4K. (Just in case I decide to go 4K only for games). I am not sure how much this waiting is worth though.

-If possible, I plan to OC the CPU to 4.0Ghz. I have not done any OC in the past before, so I would also like to know will the build be stable if I kept the CPU on OC 24/7?

That's it for now, thanks for the inputs.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bQjjnn

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

the [PCI wifi card] will use up some PCI lanes

You have 28 PCIe lanes with that CPU and motherboard combo. GPU uses 16 PCIe maximum. You have 12 PCIe lanes unused. You can give 2 PCIe lanes to the WiFi card, don't worry about it. :)

just reuse my old GTS450

You can do that, but expect AAA games to struggle running on your PC or stay in the low (maybe medium) graphics section. It depends on the optimization and resolution.

ll the build be stable if I kept the CPU on OC 24/7?

It should be. But why would you OC a new build for like %17.6 percent (4.0 / 3.4)? I would only do a "safe overclocking", meaning you do not aim to reach a certain frequency, rather only raise the frequency up until you would need raising the voltage to keep the system stable. A latest CPU should be able to satisfy all your needs, so it's kinda early to push its boundaries out via extra voltage applied to it. In my opinion at least.

Here are some modifications:

1. Cheaper RAM, same performance.
  2. Way better value for money SSD. See the benchmarks. Yes, your pick is somewhat better, but that wouldn't justify almost twice the price. At least not for me. :)
  3. More storage space for your money. It may be somewhat slower (10%), but HDDs are not really for high speed. For that you'll have the SSD. :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $566.50 @ shopRBC
CPU Cooler Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $149.99 @ Newegg Canada
Motherboard Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $313.02 @ shopRBC
Memory *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $199.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $274.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Toshiba 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $99.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $589.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition w/ Window ATX Mid Tower Case $144.73 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.98 @ DirectCanada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2479.18
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-07 08:15 EDT-0400

Money saved: about $360

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the information. I'm going to research this a little bit more. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube