add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Little help with drive choice please

romanvalkre
  • 44 months ago

Thinking of building my Wife a 3 drive Raid 5 array for X-Mas… and hijacking her current SSD for other projects :) but I don’t know jack about different types of NAND, or what controller would be best for this.

Would 3x Crucial MX300 (525GB version) be a good drive for this project, or would something else be better? Restriction each drive needs to be at least 480GB… can’t let her feel like her storage is going down.

Link to her current set up: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3Nr7YJ

Comments

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Obv you know more about the requirements but I'm not feeling the need for a ssd raid setup, just get her the 1tb+ mx300?

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

She wants to have the added redundancy. One of our other rigs crashed hard, and we had to re-build the OS, and re-install programs etc. While we were futzing with it she realized how much of a PITA it would be to have to do the same thing to her main rig.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, yeah it sucks when that happens. I'm still down on raid tho tbh, a 1tb ssd and an external drive for backup would prolly be my route.

• 44 months ago
  • 1 point

We use Crucials at work and they're fine, but I would look at the read/write speeds over anything else. The Samsung and Intel SSDs tend to have higher read/write speeds, but at a typically higher price. That would be better for gaming and video editing, but unless she's using it for work purposes, it all seems a bit overkill.

Almost all of our users at work are what I would consider, typical "light users."

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube