add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Infinite Boot Loop

Skylord_Milkyway

42 months ago

So basically my computer is infinitely restarting without sending a signal to my monitor. I don't know what to do at this point. I really need it fixed so I can get back to work. All and any help is appreciated PC: pcpartpicker

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Most likely a dead motherboard. CPU's generally don't die as much as other components. Try to locate the CMOS battery on your motherboard, its a large silver and circular battery that is usually easy to find. After powering off your system, unplugging it from the wall, and pressing the power button a few times to discharge any stored electricity, remove that battery and wait about 20 minutes before placing it back in the system. If that fails, a new motherboard is my next best suggestion.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. Luckily I already have a motherboard in the mail so I can do some overclocking, so, good timing? Lol. I guess I'll just have to work on my athlon x4 860k for now

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Does it work after removing all sticks of RAM, cleaning the RAM sticks, and booting with only one stick of RAM?

If possible, can you conduct a POST test?

P.S. You have a Corsair CX 500W power supply, which is one of the older CX power supplies (the newer ones are fine) that are known for exploding.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't have any issues from what I can tell for the PSU. And I shall try and see if it boots after I clean the ram

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. Try cleaning the RAM and then booting with only one stick of RAM. If one stick doesn't work, try another stick in another slot. This can help rule out RAM problems since you can't boot to run memory diagnostic software.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

... the build doesn't POST.

Yes, the old CX series are not great for gaming, but only the 750W is a really poor buy. I have not heard of any exploding CX units. Evidence please?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the old CX series are not great for gaming, but only the 750W is a really poor buy. I have not heard of any exploding CX units. Evidence please?

Example 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj8-wNmYJvM

The CX430, CX500, CX600, and CX750 power supplies are/were manufactured by an infamous OEM (Channel Well Technologies) that was using low quality popcorn capacitors (CapXon).

The newer CX450, CX550, CX650 power supplies are fine.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.overclock.net/t/1551342/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx750#

As you can see, only the CX750 used a particularly bad platform. Yes, all the capacitors are inferior, which is why I only recommend the non-750 in budget builds when they are discounted.

OK, so yes that's a CX unit burning out, however the uploader must have known it was going to burn out, so I can't take it seriously and even if I did, that is one example. For all I know he might have poured vinegar in it first.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx430-500-600

A different post that covers the other old CX wattages.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you read the first line of the article?

If you have an CX its not going to blow up or kill your PC, its not a crappy PSU, but it has some shortcomings

So the CX's arent known for exploding. The link you posted above is the only example I have seen of a CX exploding. The only problem is they arent good value for money.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no problem with that review, but it does not support the fact that the old CX series is known to explode.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Tried all. Nothing. At this point I'm assuming it's a dead cpu or motherboard

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

have tried building it again, it worked for me and i didn't even know what was wrong

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I've done that like 10 times lol.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube