add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is the first compter game you played?

romanvalkre
  • 46 months ago

With all the Pokémon Go headlines in the news this last few days... weeks... whatever I don't play it. I got to thinking, this game is going to be the first computer game for a fair number of kids.

My first game was Dungeons of Daggorath on the ancient Tandy TRS-80. What was yours?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Oregon Trail anyone? That and Red Baron were on the pcs at my school, loved those games.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Red Alert!!

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a short list... I had a floppy drive with a few games. It was either Duke Nukem 2, Commander Keen 3, Jazz Jackrabbit or Hocus Pocus.

I used to love all the Freeware titles where you'd get episode 1 for free, as a kid it was all I needed since I was pretty damned awful at them.

First PC game I owned and actually finished though was Star Wars: Dark Forces. Ran that in DOS lol.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Man, Hocus Pocus and Jazz Jackrabbit were so good back then. Some of the first games I played as well, buying Freeware disks at the dollar store.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Software > Games / Gaming".

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Not counting the learning games from way back. I think mine was either C&C Tiberian Sun or the original Deer Avenger.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

C&C TSun was a great game, Red Alert was good as well.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The whole series is pretty awesome. I just replayed through RA2 a few weeks ago.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

They made something like a first person version... it was so buggy I could never get it to work right, and annoyed me so much I never bought another westwood product. Other than that, the C&C games were great fun.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Renegade. Yes that was a weird one within the series.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm a biiiiig Red Alert fan, but the sequels did not appeal to me.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

On PC? Wolfenstein 3D!

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

company of heroes

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

A DOS game called Gods, I remember it being so hard when I first played it.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Gapper is one of the first games I remember playing, which I think was on DOS.

I wasn't a big PC gamer back then, mostly played Nintendo stuff. It wasn't the same as it is now. DOOM and Wolfenstein 3D came out and I would play those. Played a tad of WarCraft 2. Then C&C Red Alert happened and I got into that hardcore. Like using the map editor to make custom maps. Diablo, StarCraft, and then Half-Life sealed the deal for me.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

I played a lot of StarCraft, and Diablo II (and LoD). I hear they recently updated Diablo II. I think the rune word function is sadly missing from DIII... may have to see what they have changed since I played last.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Diablo II took so many days of my childhood =D

Never tried DIII though, it just didn't appeal to me. Nothing hooked me.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

first computer game was Microsoft Solitaire in 1994 ( 5 years old) or something. yep lol. played more on game boy. Because dad always said "computer games are bad for the computer" lol. My first real gaming with the pc was in 1997 (8 years old) tiger shark!! loved that game.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Pong.

And no, I'm not that old: I was around eight at the time.

As for first PC game, Wing Commander

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Chicken Invaders

Still one of my favorite games to this day.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

War z now its called infestation i believe

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

TRS-80....That brings back high school memories.... :-)

I remember playing a couple games on the 80, Zork (and all of the Infocom games), and another game that I can't remember the name (you ruled a kingdom, and the game ended when all you subjects died).

Home games..... Pong, Atari 2600, Commodore 64 (Karateka, Out of this World, California Games, Maniac Mansion, Leisure Suit Larry, and a lot more that I can't remember right now))

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

The commodore (not even sure if it was the 64 or some other one) had a game I liked "thing on a spring", sort of a puzzle game if I remember (I was a long time ago, and I was a very young kid at the time).

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Just computer games? No steam/installs needed? Then siftheads is probabky one of the first for me. I found out about hacked online games before i knew how to copy and paste.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably Hangman... Running on a Model 33 teletype connected to a Data General Nova timesharing system. That same system also had a Star Trek game, Hunt the Wumpus, Hamurabi, and many others I never played.

Things that far back get a little muddy. I think the first proper "video game" I played on a computer was Target on a Sol-20. Got pretty good at it. I also wasted a lot of time with TREK-80 (screenshot).

I also recall a "Breakout" demo program for the Apple-][. However, as it was written in BASIC, it was far too sluggish to hold my interest.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Commander Keen 1: Marooned on Mars

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

LOTR The Battle for Middle Earth... Man that game was lit

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't remember my first game, but the first site I played on was addicting games.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Except the loads of learning games, prolly my first one was Age of Empires 2, loved that game

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Age of Empires II was a great game! Sort makes me wish I had kept a win 2000 box around. It just did not play very well on Win 7

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea, I loved that game...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the first game I played was Roller Coaster Tycoon. Or, maybe Oregon Trail. lol

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I expect that Oregon Trail is going to be the first computer game for lots of people. When it came out lots of family's could not afford to own their own computer, but schools were getting them.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't remember what was the first but I do remember that I loved playing Eggbert. 8 year old me loved playing that game.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Some Rally game my Dad had on Windows 95. I think I may have had a go at some MSDOS racing games too around that time. My first personal gaming platform was a PlayStation with Crash Bandicoot. That's right, the first game I ever owned was Crash Bandicoot. Could I be any more of a 90's kid?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

hehehe.... Starcraft... let's just say i was not very good when i started

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

RavenShield when it first came out

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Simcity 4. I know its sad

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Putt Putt goes to the Zoo I believe, played it occasionally as a kid, the first major PC game I got into was Runescape a few months after it was released. Played every day from 2003-2010, then slowly started losing interest and the game was changing after the Gowers sold it. Played for a few months again recently but got bored again

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

That's quite a Runescape run! I can't say much... I have been playing WoW on and off since... late 2007.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

One of the Carmen Sandiego games on an apple is... Either where in the world or where in time.. Forgot which

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I did enjoy those games once my school got apple computers.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

doom 1 or sim city 3000 ****, i can't remember

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably Elf Elf Bowling

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II's at school is the first computer game I remember but I did play pong (and I am that old) at a friend's house shortly after it came out.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

gamed on Commodore 64 as a kid like Kungfu Master, Rolling Thunder, Wizard of Wor, Bubble Bobble, California Games, then an original IBM back in the mid 80s, in the 90s on a Compaq Dx 66 with games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom/2, Kings Quests, Warcraft, Gauntlet, Theme Park, theres too many.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

MFW get off my lawn Pepe is for life

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

MFW this edgy kid is checking my credentials

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube