add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2x Xeon : need EPS 2x8pin (looking for)

gugu96

41 months ago

SOLVED - Building a dual xeon 2600 and I will need 2x8pin connector onto the motherboard. All standard psu's have 1x8pin (or split 4+4). Unless I go through ALL the psu listed here and click on all links I just dunno where to start to find such a PSU.

Alright this one is sloved! I have decided to go with EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply because it has the power to grow and is fully modular. The server may or may not receieve Xeon Phi Coprocessor in the future and this means I have to reserve a hefty wattage for that. The beefier Phi cards could draw up to 300w if I read correctly. In the case we add Phi I doubt it'll be the top-end card, so more likely a 225w peak card... or 2. Let's hope by the time we add some coprocessors they will be less power hungry.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

The Silverstone Strider Gold Series has duel 8 pin ESP slots. (Only from the 850W+ PSUs though)

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Most high end PSU's will have them. As for where to check go to the manufacturer site of a PSU you are interested in and find the info there.

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

seasonic x-650 has two cpu with EPS 4+4

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, will look into them, 650w would be a minimum to start with (current part list peak is 532w)

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

I mis-typed. The cables included are one EPS 4+4 CPU cable, and one that is 8 pin EPS CPU power connector.

There is also an X-750 and X850 of the same design if you need more than 650 watts.

a note from the install guide: (3e)

If your system requires dual EPS + 12 V connectors, please connect the 12 Pin end of the second CPU 8 Pin connector into the appropriate 12 Pin receptor on the power supply unit. Then connect the mainboard end of this 8 Pin connector to the mainboard.

http://seasonic.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/X-series-II-08.2014.pdf

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the compatibility filter not pick up on this?

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

We do not currently filter for dual EPS.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

As far as I've seen for my part list, nope! It filters for advertised wattage. Almost all the dual Xeon build I've seen have either overkill psu, use the pcie 6+2 or in few cases have the proper psu. I picked an XFX TS in the meantime as a placeholder, I read somebody used this one for 2x8pins but I have yet to confirm. thank you for replying so fast

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

You can't use a PCI 6+2 in place of a 4 +4/8 pin connector. They have different pin outs.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks, that will help rule out all of those without proper connectors

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

From the PSU I have looked at here are the results, for those who want to know:

XFX TS 650W has ATX12V / EPS12V : One 4+4-pin, One EPS 12V 8-pin

EVGA 1000W 80+ as well as EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W show on the modular panel that it has 2 plugs CPU1 and CPU2 8 pins each. Both psu fully modular

Corsair AXi ax860i 80+ has 2 EPS (fully modular)

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright this one is sloved! I have decided to go with EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply because it has the power to grow and is fully modular. The server may or may not receieve Xeon Phi Coprocessor in the future and this means I have to reserve a hefty wattage for that. The beefier Phi cards could draw up to 300w if I read correctly. In the case we add Phi I doubt it'll be the top-end card, so more likely a 225w peak card... or 2. Let's hope by the time we add some coprocessors they will be less power hungry.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube