add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

6600k overclocking

Santoryu2510
  • 47 months ago

Hi All,

I have a post yesterday which is related to this one where I OC'd my new system with 4.2 @1,2v. Recently I tried to get to 4.3 w/o changing the 1.2 and so far running cinebench and aida 64 (30min) has been stable.

If ill try to go to 4.4 and an increase of voltage is needed. I might add some, but my question is does 1.2v-1.250v a safe voltage where I can ensure that my parts will be running for 2-3 years?

Thanks.

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not really the voltage that causes the problem, but the heat. So as long as you keep the CPU cool, you don't really have to worry. ;)

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

but adding a Voltage means adding heat right?

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but that's why we have CPU coolers: to remove the heat. :)

Also, make sure that the measured temperature is measured under "normal" use. While a simple CPU stress test will run the CPU on 100%, it would not run your GPU and other parts in "normal" usage, they wouldn't produce heat that adds to the ambient heat in the case.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see. so I think 1.2-1.25 is not quite high and I will not go higher even if it wants to. I don't think 1ghz can have an impact vs destroying your parts. Btw my cooler is h110i and just 3 intakes fan at the front.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Correct! And voltage can destroy some parts because some components can only take so much voltage until they are destroyed. But normally you would run into a thermal problem first unless you have a crazy cooling system.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I see. so I think 1.2-1.25 is not quite high and I will not go higher even if it wants to. I don't think 1ghz can have an impact vs destroying your parts. Btw my cooler is h110i and just 3 intakes fan at the front.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, 1.2 - 1.25 is a very safe sitting point for your CPU voltage. It is when you start going past 1.3V where you need to be a little cautious/worried. Also I think the CPU matters as well for how much voltage is considered safe. The voltage I stated is for the skylake processors.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try to go with 4.5ghz as along as it will not go 1.25v higher. Btw here is my system

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/nPYm8K

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube